Coconut oil difference

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parry

Reaction score
Can I use Kirkland brand organic coconut oil in CP? If so, what do I enter it as in Soap calc: 76, 92 or Fractioned? what's the difference?

Hi there! Yes, the Kirkland brand of CO a 76º CO, and a good option for using in any soap, CP or HP.

The 92º CO isn't a very common option in the US, but if you do find it, it will behave pretty much the same in soap as the 76º CO.

Fractionated coconut oil is liquid at any temp. It isn't frequently used in soap, but is pretty nice in lotions, syndet shampoo bars, and other body care products.

Fractionated coconut oil is a water-clear oil that is always liquid at normal room temperatures. When I've seen it in my US grocery stores, it's sold in small tall bottles meant to be poured from. FCO contains mostly capric and caprylic acids, which are not good fatty acids to have in soap. I recommend using FCO in lotions and other skin care products, but not in soap.

Regular 76-degree coconut oil may be liquidy or solid at room temps. It usually comes in a squat jar with a big opening, so the fat can be scooped out with a spoon. 76 and 92 coconut oil are high in myristic and lauric acids, which are more typical fatty acids to use in soap. The 76 coconut oil is the "normal" stuff that's easy to find -- I can't say I've ever seen 92-degree coconut oil in grocery stores.

I agree with the rest. Even if you find 92 CO somewhere, it has more or less the same soaping qualities as 76 - according to the lye calculator I use, you can use those 2 interchangeably with little to no difference.

I'm curious if someone can say if they noticed some difference in the soap both make?

How will FCO work in bath bombs? I’m looking for an oil that is stable over time, I.e. won’t turn rancid. I had a sad experience with avocado oil going bad in embeds after a year. 🙁. I made recent embeds using meadowfoam oil, but FCO would be less expensive in the BB base formula.
Yes, it should work just fine. Sorry to hear about your embeds. 😢

How will FCO work in bath bombs? I’m looking for an oil that is stable over time, I.e. won’t turn rancid. I had a sad experience with avocado oil going bad in embeds after a year. 🙁. I made recent embeds using meadowfoam oil, but FCO would be less expensive in the BB base formula.
FCO is great in bath bombs! It is the only oil I use as I don’t want an oil slick in my tub but I do want some moisturizing for my skin. Longevity is a huge bonus.

I agree with the rest. Even if you find 92 CO somewhere, it has more or less the same soaping qualities as 76 - according to the lye calculator I use, you can use those 2 interchangeably with little to no difference.

I'm curious if someone can say if they noticed some difference in the soap both make?

I tried some 92-degree coconut oil* in CP and can't say I noticed any difference. Perhaps someone using other recipes may be able to perceive a some slight change in their soap, but I kind of doubt it. Also, it was more expensive than the regular organic, 76-degree stuff, which I buy from Sam's Club.

*Mine came from a vendor not too far from me. They import oils mostly from Brazil but looks like their current stock of 92-degree coconut comes from SE Asia.

Thanks for your reply, @A-Polly !

I expected something like that, but it's different when someone confirms it. I have no access to 92 CO and now I know I'm not missing. Plus, I'm cheap and I won't give more when I can give less haha

Back