Citric Acid Calculation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure how much Citric Acid to add to my recipe on a routine basis so I'm setting me up a calculator so it will be easy for each recipe. So would some one check my numbers as I seem to be reading different things and not sure I've got it right. I'm no good at math so I set me up cheaters lol. So I have a batch that is 1553.55g (oil weight) I use ounces so it's messy. I'm just doing 1% Citric Acid. What I have is:

I'll add 15.54g of Citric Acid, and 9.69g of additional Lye. Is that right?

I'm not an expert soaper, nor particularly good at math, but your numbers look right to me. What I'm not clear on is where the ounces you mention are being used?
I weigh everything in ounces so I converted the oil weight to grams then calculate the amounts and then bring it back to ounces. But I need to make sure my cheat sheet is calculating right.

Oh, I see — you're right, to figure the additional lye as the formula is usually presented (10g of citric acid neutralizes 6.24g of NaOH) you'd want to use grams. I suppose you could convert the formula to ounces but it seems messier and harder to be precise, something like 0.3527 ounces of citric acid neutralizes 0.2201 ounces of NaOH? Ha ha, don't go by that, I'm definitely not sure it's correct! I'm lazy, and trust that mode button on my scale when I want to see how many ounces my grams come out to, instead of breaking out the calculator! 😏

Back