How to make a fragrance/perfume oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

Does anyone know how to make a fragrance oil that can be used on the skin or like a perfume oil? Nemat has a very popular one called Vanilla Musk Fragrance Oil. I have a few fragrance oils that I have purchased for making body butters and the like, however, I'd like to blend them to make a fragrance oil that can be used on the skin like the Nemat one. I tested this out by mixing some FO's in a carrier oil (Almond oil) and I really liked it, but I want to make sure it's safe before I start selling it. I believe my ratio was 20% FO to 80% Carrier oil. Does anyone know if this is correct? If I want it to smell stronger, what number can I safely go up to in FO's? Lastly, if I want to add a little essential oil, would this make it unsafe to wear on your skin and casually go out into the sun (not sunbathe or anything) Can anyone offer any tips? Thanks so much!

Fragrance and essential oils all have their own, specific usage rates. You need to check the IFRA safe usage rates for the category of the product you are making for each individual fragrance you are using. You also will need to check if there is anything else required by Canada to be aware of when formulating. Especially so if you are selling.

A few comments which I hope will be helpful in your scent endeavors.
Nemat fragrance oils are likely made with perfume chemicals as well as natural ingredients. Replicating can be frustrating.
IFRA regulations for perfume products allows many but not all scents up to 100 %. Oakmoss is highly regulated. Citrus oils demand cautious use as (depending on how they are extracted) will cause sun sensitivity.
If your budget allows look for a copy of Karen Gilbert, Perfume, The Art & Craft of Fragrance. She has oil based perfume instructions along with a thorough review of making scents of all types.
My personal recommendation is to obtain a few glass roller ball bottles with metal roller balls. Small 5 or 10 ml. Mix and store in glass containers in dark cool area. Keep excellent notes so you can make a scent again.
Using fragrance mixes is very challenging as the ingredients are a mystery.
My personal homemade perfume endeavors have resulted in a few amazing scents. I mostly use perfume alcohol or for solid perfume I use jojoba and beeswax (see Mandy Aftel book Scents & Sensibilities)
Have fun. You are going to love perfume making.
Edited to add..if you are selling a non perfume item then that product is not Category 4 IFRA. A body oil may be considered a cosmetic and you are in an IFRA category that is much more regulated. Body oils may involve applying copious quantities after a bath. Perfume is generally a much much smaller application.

Last edited:
This website provides recipes for classic perfume bases (chypre, fougère) made with essential oils and resins. Some of the ingredients are outside of the price range I am willing to consider at this point in time. To take a stab at blending, I've made chypres I like using blends of essential oils and fragrance oils. As mentioned above, you will want to be mindful of safe usage rates which can be challenging when making blends from fragrance oils that have unknown constituents.

This website provides recipes for classic perfume bases (chypre, fougère) made with essential oils and resins. Some of the ingredients are outside of the price range I am willing to consider at this point in time. To take a stab at blending, I've made chypres I like using blends of essential oils and fragrance oils. As mentioned above, you will want to be mindful of safe usage rates which can be challenging when making blends from fragrance oils that have unknown constituents.
Thank you for the perfume making link!

Nemat fragrance oils are likely made with perfume chemicals as well as natural ingredients. Replicating can be frustrating.
IFRA regulations for perfume products allows many but not all scents up to 100 %. Oakmoss is highly regulated. Citrus oils demand cautious use as (depending on how they are extracted) will cause sun sensitivity.
If your budget allows look for a copy of Karen Gilbert, Perfume, The Art & Craft of Fragrance. She has oil based perfume instructions along with a thorough review of making scents of all types.
My personal recommendation is to obtain a few glass roller ball bottles with metal roller balls. Small 5 or 10 ml. Mix and store in glass containers in dark cool area. Keep excellent notes so you can make a scent again.
My personal homemade perfume endeavors have resulted in a few amazing scents. I mostly use perfume alcohol or for solid perfume I use jojoba and beeswax (see Mandy Aftel book Scents & Sensibilities)
Edited to add..if you are selling a non perfume item then that product is not Category 4 IFRA. A body oil may be considered a cosmetic and you are in an IFRA category that is much more regulated. Body oils may involve applying copious quantities after a bath. Perfume is generally a much much smaller application.
So helpful!! Thank you for all the information. Excited to start!

Couldn't figure out why you said "if your budget allows..." Then I look this book up on Amazon :oops:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 6.05.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 6.05.55 PM.png
    1.2 MB
Couldn't figure out why you said "if your budget allows..." Then I look this book up on Amazon :oops:
Oh gosh. I’ve seen book listings like this on Amazon before and have never understood where on earth the pricing comes from. It’s odd indeed. I found a used copy for under 20$ but it looks like prices are now 19$ and up. I use book finder for all my book purchases. Have a look at this link. Or private message me. I’ve an extra copy I can sell for $15 plus book rate shipping. Here’s the book finder link: https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...me%20the%20art%20and%20craft%20of%20fragrance

Oh gosh. I’ve seen book listings like this on Amazon before and have never understood where on earth the pricing comes from. It’s odd indeed. I found a used copy for under 20$ but it looks like prices are now 19$ and up. I use book finder for all my book purchases. Have a look at this link. Or private message me. I’ve an extra copy I can sell for $15 plus book rate shipping. Here’s the book finder link: https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=TccQXIXlbYNqVjm5hcQex74MgBQ_1721705153_1:2787:5549&bq=author=karen%20gilbert&title=perfume%20the%20art%20and%20craft%20of%20fragrance
Wow!! Never heard of this!! Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back