Chemical smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishwosere

Reaction score
I eventually found a coconut fragrance oil that actually smelled like coconut :D and I made the coconut and lime milk soap that I had been wanting to try for ages. It set up quite quickly, but I think that was more to do with my farting about trying to get that 'perfect' green for my lime layer.
I even tried a lynn top for the first time and although not perfect I was very pleased...it smelled divine and looked rather good too.
I didn't want to gel so I placed the soap in a pre-cooled mould in the fridge for 24hours. When I sliced my beautiful soap earlier gone was the lovely smells of coconut and fresh lime only to be replaced with something that smells not unlike a cheap lavatory cleaner! - I'm not impressed :cry:
Has anyone else made soap that smelled gorgeous only for the smell to morph into something quite disgusting?

i hae, but the weird smell cured out and it smelled much better. you might just need to give it time to cure. put it away and check on it in a week or so. :)

is there coconut milk in your soap? I have found that coconut milk has a strange smell while curing, but that the smell cures out and settles down nicely

Yep, I've had chemicaly smelling soap before. I use 2 or 3 FO's that smell strongly of perm solution for the hair during the first week of cure, but it all cures out and my soaps smell lovely in the end. Just give it time.

I do agree with Carebear, though, that most coconut FOs are not very stable in CP. They have a tendency to morph in the high pH environment. Most that I've used tend to smell kinda minty in my soap, although the FO's sold as a combo scent such as 'coconut lime verbena' or 'lime coconut', do well for me in my soap. They smell like real coconut and lime to me. Now if only the single note coconut FOs could do the same.

IrishLass :)

dieSpinne said:
is there coconut milk in your soap? I have found that coconut milk has a strange smell while curing, but that the smell cures out and settles down nicely

yes it was coconut milk I used this time...thank you, I am glad there's hope for my soap yet :)

Thank you all for your replies, :)
I bought the coconut FO from Gracefruit and it was especially for CP soap so I'm hoping it isn't the problem. I'll wait and hope the 'stink' cures out and that it was the coconut milk's fault :wink:

I've used the coconut milk FO from Peak. It's smells good oob but goes away for a couple of weeks in the soap. It comes back, milder, a little different, but still pleasant.

Back