Can you use extracts to scent soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie H

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can use things like vanilla extract or coconut extract to scent soap? I searched the forum and all I found was one person said everything they’ve read says alcohol doesn’t work in soap, but then someone else said they use beer in their soap. Anyone have experience with extracts?

Any fragrances with alcohol will not work in soap - beer is a different story (and most of us boil off the alcohol first).

It is unlikely that extracts will impart any fragrance to soap. Even some essential oils can fade quickly after being exposed to the lye monster. For best results, use fragrance oils especially formulated for use in CP or HP soap.

Agreed that anything with any significant amount of alcohol will make your soap seize. If you are using something like beer, wine, or an alcohol plant infusion for color, you must evaporate off the alcohol before making the soap.

They do make glycerine-based (in lieu of alcohol) vanilla extracts; however, the scent isn't concentrated enough to come through in soap. You can try vanilla oleoresin, or benzoin. But as Kiwi said, a good fragrance oil is going to give far more scent with much better staying power - and usually for less money.

PS - remember anything with vanillin, which includes vanilla extracts, will also turn your soap quite brown.

I make beer soap and I don't do anything to decrease the alcohol in the beer, just stir it well to dissolve the additives in it and use it as it is (that does remove most of the bubbles though). Straight out of the fridge, the bottle is kept closed, the evaporation is minimal. Haven't experienced seizing so far - so it should depend on the rest of the recipe as well. And on the alcohol content too - there's some pretty heavy stuff on the market and that may not work the same way. Haven't used that, just regular dark beer. And I can't say for other products with alcohol, AliOop is probably right about that. Overall, YMMV

Last edited:
Any fragrances with alcohol will not work in soap - beer is a different story (and most of us boil off the alcohol first).

It is unlikely that extracts will impart any fragrance to soap. Even some essential oils can fade quickly after being exposed to the lye monster. For best results, use fragrance oils especially formulated for use in CP or HP soap.
Thanks!

Agreed that anything with any significant amount of alcohol will make your soap seize. If you are using something like beer, wine, or an alcohol plant infusion for color, you must evaporate off the alcohol before making the soap.

They do make glycerine-based (in lieu of alcohol) vanilla extracts; however, the scent isn't concentrated enough to come through in soap. You can try vanilla oleoresin, or benzoin. But as Kiwi said, a good fragrance oil is going to give far more scent with much better staying power - and usually for less money.

PS - remember anything with vanillin, which includes vanilla extracts, will also turn your soap quite brown.
Thanks for the info!

I make beer soap and I don't do anything to decrease the alcohol in the beer, just stir it well to dissolve the additives in it and use it as it is (that does remove most of the bubbles though). Straight out of the fridge, the bottle is kept closed, the evaporation is minimal. Haven't experienced seizing so far - so it should depend on the rest of the recipe as well. And on the alcohol content too - there's some pretty heavy stuff on the market and that may not work the same way. Haven't used that, just regular dark beer. And I can't say for other products with alcohol, AliOop is probably right about that. Overall, YMMV
Well now I have to explore beer soap 🤣 Thanks for the info!

I usually simmer the beer to remove carbonation and also to concentrate the beer so I can add more beery goodness to the soap. Simmering probably removes some of the alcohol too, and that might be a good thing in the higher-proof beers I sometimes use. But I generally don't worry about the alcohol content in most beer -- it's usually pretty low.

The higher alcohol content in beverages like wine or whiskey or in alcoholic extracts (for example: perfume and homemade alcohol infusions) can cause trouble.

Back