Calculated mold volume but it made too much

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Calculated what I thought was total volume for a new mold using the following formula. Measured in cm's:
8x5.5x7
Took the total and multiplied by .40 and turned that total into grams. I ended up with too much soap.

What went wrong?

Last edited:
Did you use the result as your oil weight or as your total batch weight?
Total batch weight. But I think I have it figured out. I don't work in ounces. Grams are easier for me when weighing but inches are easier when measuring. I watched a Youtube video made by an Australian and she measures in cm. I mixed up inches and cm while measuring so my numbers are all wrong. :oops:
Also length x width x depth x .4 doesn't work in cm. I found something on this forum about multiplying cm measurements by .7. I thinks this will work out better. :)

You can also measure the weight of water the mold can hold and use it as total batch weight in your calculations. You'll end up with just a little bit of extra batter which you can fine-tune with your next batch

You can also measure the weight of water the mold can hold and use it as total batch weight in your calculations. You'll end up with just a little bit of extra batter which you can fine-tune with your next batch
You know, I originally tried this for cavity molds. Poured water in one while it's on the scale and multipy by the number of cavities. Didn't work very well. Always ended up with way too much :-(

Latest posts

Back