bubbles is my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasheYesh

Reaction score
This is the second time I make this recipe, first time was perfect, this time after some 10 hours in the mold bubbles appeared at the surface that was not touched by the plastic wrap, as you can see in the picture.

That is my recipe:
Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil with calandula 70%
Shea batter 10%
33% lye concentration, 5% superfat
Dried calandula flowers

The only difference this time was the use of different EO

First time I used lemongrass, lemon and Melissa, this time it was sweet orange, cinnamon and patchouli

Do any of you have an idea what went wrong ( if at all) and how can I fix it?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-29 at 13.22.22_0451554f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-29 at 13.22.22_0451554f.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello, I’m on my second batch and see these bubbles also (or what I think are air bubbles…). It looks same as your photos? I wasn’t sure if these were air bubbles or something else so thought I’d ask. I suppose these are better than an issue with recipe, lye etc. so if anyone thinks these are not air bubbles I’d love to hear from ya! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hello, I’m on my second batch and see these bubbles also (or what I think are air bubbles…). It looks same as your photos? I wasn’t sure if these were air bubbles or something else so thought I’d ask. I suppose these are better than an issue with recipe, lye etc. so if anyone thinks these are not air bubbles I’d love to hear from ya! Thanks!
Hi
Your bubbles are different from mine :)
they look more like solid then air, I do not have enough experience to know or even guess what it is, hope you'll find your answer.

It looks to me like some stearic spots, maybe some TD spots, and some air bubbles. All are just cosmetic.

Air bubbles are exacerbated by wire cutters. You can usually plane the soap to get a smooth surface.

Stearic spots come from not heating your high-stearic fats or butters to at least 160F. You can let them cool down from there before soaping.

Back