Help!!!! My cream appear bubbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGA

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've made some emulsion cream for hair. The bubbles start to appear after 1-2 days

My recipe is
Hot water phase:
38% water
5% Gleditsia australis extract
10% Aloe vera extract
20% PG
0.5% Sodium benzoat
3,5% Tween 80

Hot oil phase:
5% Coconut Oils
5% Shea butter
3% cetyl alcohol
6% stearic acid
3% Span 80

Cooling phase:
0,5% vitamin E
0,5% grapefruit peel essential oil

Please help me. Thank you so much

Bubbling is usually a sign of unwanted bacterial or microbial growth. Herbal extracts such as aloe vera (and the other one you named, with which I’m not familiar) are notoriously difficult to add to lotions. They can often exceed the preservative’s abilities.

Bubbling is usually a sign of unwanted bacterial or microbial growth. Herbal extracts such as aloe vera (and the other one you named, with which I’m not familiar) are notoriously difficult to add to lotions. They can often exceed the preservative’s abilities.
thank you so much. but even if I replace herbal extract by water, it still has bubbles :(

Hmmm. Are you using distilled water? Tap water can contain a lot of impurities, making it unsuitable for lotion.

Also, are you making sure that all of your equipment, surfaces, and containers are completely clean?

Hmmm. Are you using distilled water? Tap water can contain a lot of impurities, making it unsuitable for lotion.

Also, are you making sure that all of your equipment, surfaces, and containers are completely clean?
i used distilled water and my containers and equipment are cleaned with alcohol

I have never used Tween 80, but research shows that it is a non-ionic surfactant. According to the table below (from the Humblebee & Me website), your chosen preservative, sodium benzoate, is inactivated by non-ionics. That probably explains why your lotion is going bad and turning bubbly. Sorry!

PS - not being familiar with Gleditsia australis extract, I can't say whether it might also contain some ingredients or cause a change in pH that might also affect the preservative.

Sodium BenzoateUp to 1%More effective at lower pH values, most active at pH 3No max temp found; can be added to heated phaseUp to 55% water solubleNot broad spectrum. Very pH dependent, inactivated by non-ionics. Mostly anti-fungal with some anti-bacterial action. Avoid use in formulas where L-Ascorbic Acid and Citric Acid are present.

Back