Bentonite clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogreen

Reaction score
I recently purchased the wrong clay from my supplier. I ended up buying bentonite clay. I tired to look up the benefits of adding it to soap, but have found very little information other than it "detoxifies". Is it generally ok to use on sensitive skin? Does it help anchor EO's? How much to add PPO? ANY info on this clay would be appreciated!

It is wonderful. I have a base face bar recepie and add different additives and bentonite is one. If you want to learn more about it you can google kitty litter face mask and read what people say and bentonite hair mask.

Although I use the soap makers 'grade' of bentonite for my soap - I have noticed a slight lighter color and surely the process to purify the clay is more hygienic than making kitty litter - LOL - but you can at least see the benefits of bentonite in ppls posts who use kitty litter for face masks.

One of my customers who is crazy for my soap says it has helped where not even proactive helped her (which I hear mixed reviews of that stuff anyway) and her husband that has psoriasis and they LOVE it. I heard it's great, I find it to be great. I think it does anchor the EO as I use 1/2 ppo so as to not be too harsh and yet it smells as fragrant and lasting as my body bars with 1oz ppo. (specifically I use in face bars patchouli, tea tree or lavender EO)

How I use to wash: I lather, put it on my face use a scrub and scrub around and leave lather for a few minutes, not long enough to drip into eyes so as to not irritate. Rinse...Ahhhh!

Good luck - I love it! I think (and have seen this a lot) lots - not all - say most of the clays are clay... Try for a month and see what it does for you is always the best way to know also.

Thank you both so much for the information! I'll have to give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back