BB swap soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THank you, you guys!

Yes, I was a newbie when I picked my name and had a clear lack of creativity. I just wanted to get on the forum, so I just called myself what I was. Hazel offered to let me change it, but I'm used to my name now and boy, I'd have to come up with something that really suited me, which means I can't think of a thing.

To be honest, I didn't work on the technique in practice. I work on it a lot in my head before I try it though. I had done one other sunset soap that turned out very nicely as well, but same with that one. I have to go over the whole thing in my head, sometimes for a few (and even many) days before I make it and I have to visualize the entire process. I also have to figure out how to parse out each color so sometimes I draw it out and grid it. It's kind of a grind so I don't do them too often. On my other sunset soap, I talked to the manufacturer about the FO beforehand to know how it would work and then when I used it, it turned the batter yellow! I was eyeballing all the colors and I did about 28 colors total, 14 for each half of the soap. I thought I was going to cry but I turned to extensive cursing instead and just pushed through. It turned out okay but that's what you get when you don't have practice runs. I also feel like I'm going to crap my britches when I cut them because if they turn out poorly, well, then I feel utterly deflated. It's a chancy thing to put too much work into something like a soap because you just never know what's going to be inside when you cut.

And yes, I've had complete failures.

newbie, you described that so well that there is no doubt in my mind I am not going to try a scene anytime soon! I would be a complete basket case, which would reverse all of the good things that soaping has done for me. There are just some places an addict shouldn't go. But that really is a very cool soap, and it does give me hope that someday, with self-control and mastery, I might create something so beautiful.

You did an AMAZING job!!
And BTW, I'm on my old (slow) laptop right now and accidentally scrolled past the photo in my impatience. So I saw the soap first and thought "What a fantastic sunset soap!"...totally got it even without the original pic that played muse for you :)

Beautiful! I think you did a great job of capturing the colors and feel of the photo.

Back