Alternative for vegetable fat (shortening)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrummysuds

Reaction score
A recipe I have for baby soap has vegetable fat (shortening) in the recipe but mms lye calculator does not have it as an option, what would be a suitable alternative? I was thinking olive oil?
The other ingredients are:
- carrot seed oil
- sunflower oil
- calendula infused sweet almond oil
- coconut oil
- white beeswax

if that helps at all.....

Try another calculator. 8)

If you want to substitute something else for the vegetable shortening, try palm or pko.

Yeah thats the one thing I wish they would add. I confess if i am using say 15 grams I will put 10 grams first oil on ingredient list and 5 grams of 2nd and use that in MMS its not perfect but gets me close enough to avoid Being LYE heavy.

Having a similar problem with finding vegetable shortening or soybean shortening on the soapcalc.net list. Is it listed under a different name like the "soybean 27.5 hydrogenated"?

I feel silly asking but the only dumb question is the one not asked :)

You can but I found 100% pure with no additives soybean shortening at SoapersChoice.com I'd like to try but I wanted to make sure I calc for the right thing before I buy.

Also, I can't calc if its not listed on the list of oils/fats on the calc sites so I wanted to make sure I'm not just overlooking 100% soybean shortening on the list because I don't recognize the name its listed under.

Well I guess I finally entered my question right on the Google searches because this came up in answer to the hydrogenated soybean listing on soapcalc.net:
Looking at soapcalc if you were to use it in a recipe you would look for "soybean 27.5% Hydrog" on the list of oils.

Thank you to anyone that took the time to read this and check.

Latest posts

Back