Aloe vera juice - where do you purchase yours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Reaction score
Hello group! I'm wondering where people buy their aloe vera juice from. I'm looking for pure juice with no extra additives. I had ordered from New Directions Aromatics before but the shipping is crazy high (I'm in California). So I need to come up with another option. Any tips greatly appreciated as always. Thanks!

Have you found bottled aloe vera juice without any additives at all? I haven't seen any without at least a little lemon juice or something like that (for stabilization & preservation). I've most often used the one from WalMart (linked above by @dmcgee5034); it contains a tiny bit of citric acid and sodium benzoate. Since I'm a sporadic soapmaker, I like that it's sold in quarts as well as gallon jugs. Trader Joe's sells organic aloe vera juice by the gallon at a good price, too; it's made from aloe concentrate and contains a little bit of lemon juice. The Lakewood brand organic juice sold in my regular grocery store was the first I ever tried, but also contains lemon juice (and is way more expensive!). All of these have worked well in soap, and I really couldn't tell any difference between them.

Maybe mixing your own with the powdered aloe vera that @justsomeguy mentioned would be the best way to be sure nothing else is added? example of 100x concentrate
I'm not sure it's cheaper than picking up jugs from WalMart or Trader Joe's, though there would certainly be less plastic packaging to deal with.

Have you found bottled aloe vera juice without any additives at all? I haven't seen any without at least a little lemon juice or something like that (for stabilization & preservation). I've most often used the one from WalMart (linked above by @dmcgee5034); it contains a tiny bit of citric acid and sodium benzoate. Since I'm a sporadic soapmaker, I like that it's sold in quarts as well as gallon jugs. Trader Joe's sells organic aloe vera juice by the gallon at a good price, too; it's made from aloe concentrate and contains a little bit of lemon juice. The Lakewood brand organic juice sold in my regular grocery store was the first I ever tried, but also contains lemon juice (and is way more expensive!). All of these have worked well in soap, and I really couldn't tell any difference between them.

Maybe mixing your own with the powdered aloe vera that @justsomeguy mentioned would be the best way to be sure nothing else is added? example of 100x concentrate
I'm not sure it's cheaper than picking up jugs from WalMart or Trader Joe's, though there would certainly be less plastic packaging to deal with.
This is the one I have now from New Directions Aromatics (that I hadn't refrigerated): Aloe Vera Juice Raw Material. I guess this has some sort of additives in it afterall?

Thanks for all of this information, very helpful!

Thank you everyone for the great responses. I think I will go ahead and get the one from Walmart, the pricing sure is much better!

This is the one I have now from New Directions Aromatics (that I hadn't refrigerated): Aloe Vera Juice Raw Material. I guess this has some sort of additives in it afterall?

Thanks for all of this information, very helpful!
As it probably will work the same in your soap, it's too expensive. The store bought regular AVJ usually has a minimal amount of additives, but it shouldn't bother you - as the rest have pointed out

Back