A few questions from a new soap maker!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the result of a test I did on powdered GM vs. pure water soap. In most categories, people preferred the water soap. Surprised the heck out of me!

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=44167

I did a blind test a few years ago with friends and co-workers. I was looking for preferences in a facial soap. Testers used five different recipes, a true castile, a bastile, and three others, one with goat's milk, one with jojoba, and one with avocado oil. I thought castile or the goat's milk would be the favorite, but people overwhelmingly preferred the one with avocado oil. Blind tests are very interesting. As soapmakers, I think we can be biased toward certain products that we make, because we know all of the goodies in them. But a blind test can be an eye opener. Customers may prefer something that surprises us!

Would using animal fats in some soaps prevent me from selling even vegan soaps to some customers if I ever go that direction?
I would think so!

You could do what many people do, make some soaps with and some with out - a choice for the customer.

I think Bouke was asking whether just the presence of non-vegan bars in the lineup would dissuade some people from purchasing vegan soaps if they were available too. So your second answer seems applicable, TEG. :p

I suppose it is possible a relatively low percentage of people would be put off, but for the majority I'd think not as long as you have products that do appeal to their interests. You can't please everyone all the time, so at some point you'll have to figure out who your market is &/or what it is that you want to provide. But for now, just SOAP and be merry!

Ah yes - very sorry, mis read that one entirely.

Bourke, I am planning on selling some day and I am planning that my "normal" soaps (ie not Castile or Salt Bars) will have either palm or lard in them. I know that I will be cutting some people out from my target market, but that is something that I am willing to do in order to keep the feel going, the reason why I started making soap in the first place.

I think Bouke was asking whether just the presence of non-vegan bars in the lineup would dissuade some people from purchasing vegan soaps if they were available too. So your second answer seems applicable, TEG. :p

I suppose it is possible a relatively low percentage of people would be put off, but for the majority I'd think not as long as you have products that do appeal to their interests. You can't please everyone all the time, so at some point you'll have to figure out who your market is &/or what it is that you want to provide. But for now, just SOAP and be merry!

Depending on how strictly some follow the principles of their religions, such as mentioned with Jewish or Muslim, they might not even use soap made in the same container or with the same utensils as lard, or also with milk. I have a Jewish friend who I've been discussing it with... it is especially applicable with any soap that might be used in the kitchen, but also, depending on the strictness of interpreting 'anointing' oneself with oils, and whether it applies to soaps, which wash off, and they also take into consideration, even with non-pork animal fats, whether they are kosher or not. We've been discussing how to do some sort of partnership, as she makes beautiful gift baskets, but wants to be sure if she sells to people she knows, that she can in good conscience tell them they're not contaminated with milk products, pork, or non-kosher animal products.

Latest posts

Back