Adding salt to soap batter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made my first batch of soap containing aloe (used 200x dried aloe from Lotioncrafters reconstituted) fine sea salt and a basic coconut nut oil, olive oil and palm with some shea and caster. I mixed Kalyan clay and fragrance and added to oils by hand. The batter got to med thick trace with a 30 second (?) stick blend.
Thank goodness I’d planned to do a two color in container swirl.
Just wondering is going to trace quickly happens when you add salt?

I just made my first batch of soap containing aloe (used 200x dried aloe from Lotioncrafters reconstituted) fine sea salt and a basic coconut nut oil, olive oil and palm with some shea and caster. I mixed Kalyan clay and fragrance and added to oils by hand. The batter got to med thick trace with a 30 second (?) stick blend.
Thank goodness I’d planned to do a two color in container swirl.
Just wondering is going to trace quickly happens when you add salt?

It depends on how much salt you are using. One or two tsp/pound of soap isn't going to affect trace.

(Although, now that I reread your post, I see you are talking about sea salt. I use table salt, so there may be a difference there.)

The most common culprits for quick trace are:

1. Too much stick blending
2. A misbehaving fragrance

How large was your batch of soap? Unless it was 5lbs or so, and had lots of water and slow-tracing oils that were under 100F, you blended way too much.

By way of comparison, I can only do three 1-second blasts of stick-blending with my 1000g batches, or I’m at thick trace almost immediately.

How large was your batch of soap? Unless it was 5lbs or so, and had lots of water and slow-tracing oils that were under 100F, you blended way too much.

By way of comparison, I can only do three 1-second blasts of stick-blending with my 1000g batches, or I’m at thick trace almost immediately.
I’m still only making small batches. This one was 1200g. The temp was around 115f which was probably too warm. I was using the lye solution to melt my hard oils and patience is not my virtue 😉
All in all, things worked out but I’ll try less stick. Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it!!

It depends on how much salt you are using. One or two tsp/pound of soap isn't going to affect trace.

(Although, now that I reread your post, I see you are talking about sea salt. I use table salt, so there may be a difference there.)

The most common culprits for quick trace are:

1. Too much stick blending
2. A misbehaving fragrance
Probably too much stick. The fragrance says it doesn’t accelerate 🤷🏽‍♀️
Thanks a lot for your as ice. Really appreciate it!!

You should only need three bursts of maybe a few seconds. You might need more depending on your recipe and if you have anything in it that's slowing down trace. But try just quick burst, then stir, quick burst, then stir. And keep going at that pace until it reaches the trace level you want.

You should only need three bursts of maybe a few seconds. You might need more depending on your recipe and if you have anything in it that's slowing down trace. But try just quick burst, then stir, quick burst, then stir. And keep going at that pace until it reaches the trace level you want.
Thank you for this. I will definitely try this. I get mesmerized by the YouTube videos that seem to stick blend for EVER!! LOL!!

Thank you for this. I will definitely try this. I get mesmerized by the YouTube videos that seem to stick blend for EVER!! LOL!!
They are usually making huge batches which take much longer to trace. The oils used, the lye concentration, and the temperatures matter, too.

I can blend for 1 straight minute and only reach emulsion on a 2500f batch of my high-lard recipes — if I use 33% lye concentration and am below 100F. Change any of those variables and trace time changes.

They are usually making huge batches which take much longer to trace. The oils used, the lye concentration, and the temperatures matter, too.

I can blend for 1 straight minute and only reach emulsion on a 2500f batch of my high-lard recipes — if I use 33% lye concentration and am below 100F. Change any of those variables and trace time changes.
You are so right!! I keep forgetting that when I’m watching someone on YouTube, they’re usually making it in this huge slab mold and I have a very narrow mold from Amazon.
I tried what you said today about short blast and stirring. Worked perfectly! I had time to split my batters, add my colors, and even a bit of time to go to the bathroom before my battery got thick enough to work with. Thanks again for your advice!

Latest posts

Back