Your most moisturising soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap is not a moisturizing lotion. It's soap, and it's effect is to help remove oils from your skin.

So I can help YOU formulate a soap that won't remove much oil from your skin, but I cannot formulate one that will deposit it.

hmmm maybe I worded my post wrong.
I realise soap is for cleansing and it's not a lotion bar.
Maybe I should have said I'm after a soap which doesn't strip you bare of all oils and leaves skin feeling soft rather than moisturised.

Would these % work well?

Sweet almond oil....6.25%
Avacado oil...15%
Castor oil...3.75%
Coconut oil....20%
Olive oil......35%
Shea butter.....20%

I've tried to balance the properties of each oil

Does tussah silk make a difference? would it make your skin softer?

silk is generally considered to add a "silkiness" to the lather rather than to the skin.

your formula looks fine. I'd suggest a 7% lye discount.

Id up your castor to 10%, lower shea( more doesnt make it better, I found) to 10%,
I really like this recipe: po. oo, co, hemp, castor, pm me if you want %.

I agree with honor... I like more castor oil. If it were me I might also reduce the avocado (maybe to 10%) and shea, add more castor and olive. Either way your recipe looks really great, I bet people will love it. And like carebear said, I usually like between 5% and 7% sf.

are you planning to scent or color it?

Thanks, I'll take your advice on board

Yes I am making a christmas soap using mulled wine fragrance, colouring with a deep red and a swirl of orange mixed with broze mica. Going to attempt a Lyn top and add a cinnamon stick on top for decoration :D

Ah - well first, be sure your FO is skin safe.
Second, be aware some spicy scents can accelerate trace, or even seize.
Third, deep red soaps... picture the shower scene from Psycho... srsly.

Thanks, yes mulled wine is a fragrance oil I have ordered, suitable for skin (from a soaping website)

hmmmm psycho bathroom scene doesn't sound very christmassy......any suggestions colour wise?

Hey -- we're not ALL ladies here!

I'm sure some may disagree with me, but I tend to "superfat" on the high side -- like at 15% in order to create a more moistuizing product. I add "hard" oils (like deodorized coco butter) and sodium lactate to help counter the effects of the high superfat and harden the bar. I add vitamin E, rosemary EO, and other oils (jojoba, wheat germ) that help to prevent oxidation and DOS (Dreaded Orange Spot), which has not happened to me yet.

Also use oils that are high in unsaponifiables, like avocado and shea.

COloring suggestions- use micas and not oxides for reds and oranges- oxides seem to bleed more. You could reverse your combo- orange with deeper red swirls perhaps. Just so you know, deep red is a difficult color to achieve in soap but some people have gotten one with enough mica. Perhaps a mauve color base with the deeper red swirls? Or you could forgo coloring according to the FO and target the Christmas colors- white with red and green swirls with a little silver or gold swirled on the top. WHatever you do, please post a picture! Love to see other people's soap.

What's wrong with red soap?
SoapBFizz3.jpg

In regards to your question, I believe a recipe with a higher percentage of soft oils, rather than hard oils, leaves MY skin, feeling softer.... :)

dOttY said:
What's wrong with red soap?
SoapBFizz3.jpg

In regards to your question, I believe a recipe with a higher percentage of soft oils, rather than hard oils, leaves MY skin, feeling softer.... :)

OMG Dotty, those are absolutely beautiful :)

nothing is wrong with red soap. red soap is lovely. red soap tends to run red in the shower (especially oxides and clay!). red soap running down your body in the shower is kinda scary...

how does that soap work out in the shower? it sure is purty.

That's why I'm here... LoL, so many questions.

Thanks CareBear, naturally I will potentially encounter that scenerio when I use my red soap :?

Will report 'issues'... :lol:

Appologies gentleman, I shouldn't have started off with 'Hi ladies'!!

Well the mulled wine fragrance came today and OH MY does it smell good. Can't wait to make this soap now, my family and friends are in for a treat! thanks for everyones advice.

Back