What's going on with my lotion bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They're smooth and lovely when freshly made, but after a few months some of the bars develop this bumpy surface. Are my oils separating over time? Any idea what's happening? @Zing ? (Pic on left is freshly made bar. On right is about 7 months old. Ignore color from lighting.)

Here's my recipe (rounded to nearest percent):
34% beeswax
33% mango butter
16% coconut oil
8% meadowfoam oil
8% apricot kernel oil
(I also add arrowroot powder, FO or EO, and mica)

Attachments

• Freshly made LB.jpg
    Freshly made LB.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 7 mo old LB.jpg
    7 mo old LB.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
from what I understand, your bar turned grainy due to acids cooling and not congealing at the same rate. I read that you can stir the oil after its mixed up and take it to trace slowly to allow all the acids to mix together ( just like soap where it leaves trace marks on top), then pour into molds. Hope this helps.

Thanks, @AliOop . Can I assume it's just cosmetic? And is there anything I can do to prevent it?
I've been re-melting the bars which does fix it (at least until it may "bloom" again) but that's kind of a nuisance.
I'm sorry that I somehow missed this. Yes, "fat bloom" is just cosmetic. You can remelt it and cool it quickly, but if it goes through any significant temperature changes, the bloom may reappear.

My understanding is that there are products that help eliminate this, but I've never worked with them - sorry!

I'm sorry that I somehow missed this. Yes, "fat bloom" is just cosmetic. You can remelt it and cool it quickly, but if it goes through any significant temperature changes, the bloom may reappear.

My understanding is that there are products that help eliminate this, but I've never worked with them - sorry!
Crafter's Choice has a product called Smooth & Creamy Lotion Bar Additive.

What exactly is fat bloom? I've never heard of it before, and I'm trying to learn all I can about lotion bars, (anhydrous) because I have had a problem with grainy bars. I had read (Humblebee and me) that when making bars, take the oils slowly down in temperature to a trace where you can see trace on top of the recipe, just like in soap, and that should prevent the bars from getting grainy. However, what I don't understand is how do you pour it when its in trace, or do you reheat it up to just pourable? And if it went to trace, will the fats continue to congeal together so they don't go grainy, if you have to reheat to pour?? Hope this makes sense!!

Crafter's Choice has a product called Smooth & Creamy Lotion Bar Additive.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - thank you!

What exactly is fat bloom?
Here is an article about "chocolate bloom" that describes what it is and how it happens.

However, what I don't understand is how do you pour it when its in trace, or do you reheat it up to just pourable? And if it went to trace, will the fats continue to congeal together so they don't go grainy, if you have to reheat to pour?? Hope this makes sense!!
I actually pour while everything is still pretty hot, but then cool it off very quickly by putting it in the freezer. That works best for me.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - thank you!

Here is an article about "chocolate bloom" that describes what it is and how it happens.

I actually pour while everything is still pretty hot, but then cool it off very quickly by putting it in the freezer. That works best for me.
so you don't take it to trace to make sure the product doesn't go grainy? Is that the norm or just the way you do it?

Latest posts

Back