What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my soapy thing from yesterday and today. "Be Brave" I used soap dough and dry brushed the tops for some dimension

courage.jpg

be brave tops.jpg

Well, I`m thinking maybe I should thank this soap for all the hard work it has done for me, and send it on its way to the everlasting pastures of bubbly clouds. I can`t really expect anything more from this one.

Or perhaps just oooone last rub on the belly of the beast soap and call it a night.

Before and after😄
Btw, the soap was 6 weeks old when I started to use it.
before and after.jpg

This is my soapy thing from yesterday and today. "Be Brave" I used soap dough and dry brushed the tops for some dimension

View attachment 60251
View attachment 60250
So cute! And crazy clever. 🥰

Last day as an unemployed person. Yesterday I made a huge master batch of lye solution and fats. Also made lye solution for the next batch of soap I’ll eventually make. Not sure how much soap I’ll be able to make during work weekdays. But the lye solution and fats are ready to go.

Hey, @Misschief -- I'm still waiting on that cut.

I made soap today! It's my entry for the challenge. Unlike all the over-achievers on this forum, it is my one and only attempt. Everything is tucked in and gellin' for the night. I was really proud of stopping just at the point of emulsion. Even tho' it started as emulsion, by the time I poured my 5th layer, the batter was really thick. I had to call on Mrs. Zing's frosting skills to finish. She also had good input into the colors, top, and mica lines. God love her.
EDIT: And thanks to my friend, @AliOop, for cleanup I gave the stick blender a whirl in some Dawn and water. Thanks for the hack and -- why didn't I think of that?!

Last edited:
Marathon weekend soap session...
3 beer soaps
2 soda soaps
1 GM soap (ombre attempt fail)

Tried a new camera setup for filming YT vids, that was successful 75% of the time. I'm happy with the pov and the lighting, and it doesn't really interfere with my work area. I use my phone for filming, so 25% of the time the camera was not rotated correctly - either I was upside down or the camera was filming in portrait mode. I know I can fix when I was upside down in editing softward, but I'm not sure how the editing will go rotating the portrait mode. It may be a learning experience.

Also reviewed my unedited videos, and I have enough content for the next 4 months.... I just need to get them edited.

Today will be finishing cutting soap, beveling and stamping... and I suppose I better do those soap dishes. Will move on to lotions and sugar scrubs for the rest of the week for the coming weekend market, and pick back up with soap over the long holiday weekend.

Marathon weekend soap session...
3 beer soaps
2 soda soaps
1 GM soap (ombre attempt fail)

Tried a new camera setup for filming YT vids, that was successful 75% of the time. I'm happy with the pov and the lighting, and it doesn't really interfere with my work area. I use my phone for filming, so 25% of the time the camera was not rotated correctly - either I was upside down or the camera was filming in portrait mode. I know I can fix when I was upside down in editing softward, but I'm not sure how the editing will go rotating the portrait mode. It may be a learning experience.

Also reviewed my unedited videos, and I have enough content for the next 4 months.... I just need to get them edited.

Today will be finishing cutting soap, beveling and stamping... and I suppose I better do those soap dishes. Will move on to lotions and sugar scrubs for the rest of the week for the coming weekend market, and pick back up with soap over the long holiday weekend.
I don't know if it's ok to ask or not, but what is your YT channel? I enjoy watching soapmaking videos.

Got my challenge attempt cut this morning, unlikely to be a winner, but a cute soap nonetheless and I'm glad I got it made! I used the 3d printed mould lined with parchment since I haven't got the silicone liner done yet, and it did the job perfectly, I got 4 nicely proportioned tall and skinny bars out of it. Will definitely be pursuing this line of exploration!

I unmolded and cut my challenge soap and breathed a huge sigh of relief. There is stiff competition here, tho', I'm tellin' ya!

I cut the soap I made yesterday using annatto, paprika, and turmeric infused olive oils, and I used some zinc oxide for the white. I’m getting better at this soap making thing, I think 🙂
Heck, yeah, you're good at this!! Awesome top and such even swirls. I haven't infused oils but I do like to use turmeric and paprika as colorants. Your soap is pur-tee!

Ermmm, I shall call this one ‘Palmarosa Tie-Dye’. AKA “Failed drop swirl due to accelerating FO that I thought would be ok but wasn’t so I stabbed it multiple times with the spatula to try and break up the blobs of colour swirl”. I didn’t think the latter name would fit well on my labels. Lol 😂 soap do what soap do.
625B31EC-D65D-4542-9053-42C4FB3C24A9.jpeg
ETA: the FO was Peach Magnolia Raspberry by Nature's Garden, with a smidge of Palmarosa EO.

Last edited:
I've been living vicariously through the forum's soapy adventures, as I've been visiting my family for six weeks and, while I was so happy to finally be able to meet them, I missed being able to make soap! I handed over some soaps and I'm curious to hear what the family thinks of it.

I had one of those moments which I've often seen mentioned here on the forum too by fellow soapers, where you have to have The Conversation... that the soap bar is not just pretty to look at, it can and should also be used!🤣

So my soapy thing of the day was ordering some supplies and taking notes for future batches. I just have to wait for the weekend!

I made soap today! What?! Twice in three days you say? Uh....yeah!

I was inspired by @lucycat and did a white/marine blue hanger swirl. The scent is lavender/rosemary/spearmint essential oils. Ugh, I have issues with spearmint! To me it screams DENTAL PRODUCTS in neon lights, it's like it should be a taste and not a smell. I used it at 5% and it is the ONLY thing I can smell right now. We're all tucked in for the night under towels.

My basement soap shop right now is leaning more towards @amd's dungeon. Some idiot who shall remain nameless okay left the water hose on all night on his precious flowers and our basement flooded. So after wet vacuuming, everything is all moved around and because there's only like 2 outlets in the entire space, extension cords are everywhere and dehumidifiers all around and yeah so all that.

Um, @KiwiMoose -- "stabbing" really? Not "poking" or "swirling"? Are ya working somethin' out there? You chose lots of colors that look great together.

Today I picked up beer and soda from the pub for their soaps, so tonight I will boil down the beer, make lye solution, and make sure I have the recipes ready to go. I didn't get my MB melted last night as my back went out, so that will also be on the agenda tonight. Hopefully it will have enough time to cool before making soap tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I will do the three beer soaps, and then on Sunday I will do the two soda soaps and my ombre attempt.... as long as my back stays good.
Hope your back is doing ok! 😕 I read with interest your post from last June (I think) about making beer soap. My son is part owner of a brewery and I am making soap for their merch shelf. I’m going to follow your method, and yes I understand it‘s not the ONLY method but sounds like you have made a batch or two.

Hope your back is doing ok! 😕
Thank you - I can at least move without the pain twinge, but it is still achy, so still icing every night and doing some stretches to hopefully keep it from going out again.

My son is part owner of a brewery and I am making soap for their merch shelf.
OMG that is super exciting! Out of curiosity, what's their brewery? My pub does a great job promoting the soap - they have a 6pack and a soap package, and always show off the soaps when they advertise their merch even if they don't mention it directly. I've done soaps for other breweries, and usually they don't do well - and watching those breweries social media they have never mentioned the soap in any of their merch posts. I point this out to them every time. [end rant, lol] I can't wait to see - please make sure you tag me! And yes, you're absolutely right, there are a lot of ways to make beer soap, the way I do it gives me very consistent results every single time.

Soaps made in the weekend marathon session:
1629921763804.png

Made from the brewery's handcrafted rootbeer soda

1629921823655.png

Made from the brewery's handcrafted cream soda - FO discolors dark so these will change quite a bit through the cure especially because I goofed and added the VCS to lighter swirl rather than the top as I intended.

1629921936223.png

Brewery's Sour Berliner Weiss

1629921977504.png

Brewery's Blonde Ale

1629922007673.png

Brewery's alt bier

1629922037206.png

As long as I was making soap, this is my failed Ombre entry made with GM and scented with 4 parts NG China Rain and 1 part Dark Patchouli EO (fantastic combo, I need to make lotion with this blend) I also need to mark the China Rain FO as "accelerates like a mudderrucker", it was not a good choice for my ombre attempt (see the chunks in the top layer where it was impossible to stir more TD into the batter).

Finally did soap dishes, so I'm moving on to scrubs and lotions for the week. Hoping to get back to soap again over labor day weekend, I have a pumpkin beer soap that's itching my brain right now...

Did all the soapy dishes today, and moved some curing soaps off my soaping table so I can make the final batch for the ladies' retreat order. I should have been done by now, but two of the batches aren't up to my visual standards (some air pockets due to batter acceleration). It's been fascinating to have a few friends give feedback on the scents I've chosen. Just like politics and religion, when it comes to FOs, it's very difficult to predict who will like what, and why. 😁

Thank you - I can at least move without the pain twinge, but it is still achy, so still icing every night and doing some stretches to hopefully keep it from going out again.

OMG that is super exciting! Out of curiosity, what's their brewery? My pub does a great job promoting the soap - they have a 6pack and a soap package, and always show off the soaps when they advertise their merch even if they don't mention it directly. I've done soaps for other breweries, and usually they don't do well - and watching those breweries social media they have never mentioned the soap in any of their merch posts. I point this out to them every time. [end rant, lol] I can't wait to see - please make sure you tag me! And yes, you're absolutely right, there are a lot of ways to make beer soap, the way I do it gives me very consistent results every single time.

Soaps made in the weekend marathon session:
View attachment 60339
Made from the brewery's handcrafted rootbeer soda

View attachment 60340
Made from the brewery's handcrafted cream soda - FO discolors dark so these will change quite a bit through the cure especially because I goofed and added the VCS to lighter swirl rather than the top as I intended.

View attachment 60341
Brewery's Sour Berliner Weiss

View attachment 60342
Brewery's Blonde Ale

View attachment 60343
Brewery's alt bier

View attachment 60344
As long as I was making soap, this is my failed Ombre entry made with GM and scented with 4 parts NG China Rain and 1 part Dark Patchouli EO (fantastic combo, I need to make lotion with this blend) I also need to mark the China Rain FO as "accelerates like a mudderrucker", it was not a good choice for my ombre attempt (see the chunks in the top layer where it was impossible to stir more TD into the batter).

Finally did soap dishes, so I'm moving on to scrubs and lotions for the week. Hoping to get back to soap again over labor day weekend, I have a pumpkin beer soap that's itching my brain right now...
Wowza wowza! That was just a visual avalanche! Love it! I especially like the 'root beer float' themed soaps. What are the 'straws' made of? Thanks for posting all of this!

Ermmm, I shall call this one ‘Palmarosa Tie-Dye’. AKA “Failed drop swirl due to accelerating FO that I thought would be ok but wasn’t so I stabbed it multiple times with the spatula to try and break up the blobs of colour swirl”. I didn’t think the latter name would fit well on my labels. Lol 😂 soap do what soap do.
View attachment 60303
ETA: the FO was Peach Magnolia Raspberry by Nature's Garden, with a smidge of Palmarosa EO.
I like the name ' Blobs of colour ' :thumbs:, I would definitely call my soap that, just might borrow it :).

Latest posts

Back