What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got invited to a craft show at work, so I've been busy packing up and labeling my cured soaps (they all smell great). Spent the weekend designing and printing labels. We also packed body butters and one hair conditioner, plus some perfume oils. I'm so excited, everything looks great. This isn't a proper craft show, it's to showcase the talents of people at work, but I'm told that a lot of people will be there. Very happy with how perfectly the labels turned out.

View attachment 33430
Woow...goodluck.
Well, I got invited to a craft show at work, so I've been busy packing up and labeling my cured soaps (they all smell great). Spent the weekend designing and printing labels. We also packed body butters and one hair conditioner, plus some perfume oils. I'm so excited, everything looks great. This isn't a proper craft show, it's to showcase the talents of people at work, but I'm told that a lot of people will be there. Very happy with how perfectly the labels turned out.

View attachment 33430

I use a bit of cocoa powder to make my beer soap darker. The top and swirls are lightened with Titanium Dioxide.

the problem is you have used some awesome logic there :) my logic was apparently doomed from the start and changed because of how dark it turned the batter. Iv got a box of cocoa powder but it would never of crossed my mind to use it in a beer soap. Iv used titanium dioxide for the top bit of mine too. Do you need to pulse the cocoa powder in a coffee grinder to get rid of any lumps? and lastly how much would you use to get that shade ppo? i guess ill just have to use the golden mica for another batch oh well

I cut the inside of the soap and took pics. I started a thread called "Secret Squirrel" soap in the picture gallery to share my excitement that the quirky process I used worked. :)

Janelle

wow those are gorgeous. How did you make that cross? Is it a column mold or something?

I used a cookie cutter I bought on Etsy. I rolled out my soap dough, pressed a wood-like impression mat into the dough to make it look like wood, "The Old Rugged Cross" then cut out each cross. I affixed each cross to the soap using soap glue or paste :) I also rubbed some gold and burgundy mica on the edges of each cross.
I sprayed the impression mat with 91% alcohol to serve as a releasing agent.

the problem is you have used some awesome logic there :) my logic was apparently doomed from the start and changed because of how dark it turned the batter. Iv got a box of cocoa powder but it would never of crossed my mind to use it in a beer soap. Iv used titanium dioxide for the top bit of mine too. Do you need to pulse the cocoa powder in a coffee grinder to get rid of any lumps? and lastly how much would you use to get that shade ppo? i guess ill just have to use the golden mica for another batch oh well

I didn't use much at all. What I do is make a slurry... cocoa powder (a teaspoon or so) with a bit of water, enough to make a pourable slurry. When it's time to add the colorant, I go by sight, not amount. I don't pulse the cocoa in a coffee grinder; I don't find I need to.

I finally got to take a photo of the red wine soap I made as family Christmas gifts- I'm calling it "Que Syrah Syrah"

Attachments

• 20181127_172027.jpg
    20181127_172027.jpg
    85.3 KB
So i made a goatmilk and coffe bar....i decided to toss 1 into the freezer and i left the other at room temperature.......Going forward i think i love the colour of the soap tossed in the freezer

I didn't use much at all. What I do is make a slurry... cocoa powder (a teaspoon or so) with a bit of water, enough to make a pourable slurry. When it's time to add the colorant, I go by sight, not amount. I don't pulse the cocoa in a coffee grinder; I don't find I need to.

awesome thank you for sharing your method. The last beer soap i made smells amazing but is rather grey coloured so im just gunna tell people its based on a mud pie and miss out the beer part :rolleyes: so iv come up with the name mango mud pie.
Do you need to take say 5ml of water or whatever your mixing the lye with and use that to mix the powder? so far iv opted for mixing them with a measured by eye amount of oil out of the recipe.

Think im going to have another try at coffee soap tonight. Then one more try at beer soap with this method for colouring then im going to have to wait for these to cure im running out of space to put them to cure.

I ordered a bunch of candle wax dye this week arrived thursday i ordered 100g of 3 colours and got 100g of 2 types and only 10g of the third so i rang them and they said they would get it resent today so this afternoon i got a package thinking it was a bit wierd because it felt nothing like candle dye opened it and it was 100g of lavender petals whaat i wanted was lavender wax dye not lavender itself i mean it smells amazing and i hope they let me keep it because i love the smell of lavender but it doesnt help much as i was going to make candles this weekend and they dont open now till Monday

I finally got to take a photo of the red wine soap I made as family Christmas gifts- I'm calling it "Que Syrah Syrah"
Love the name! What a great idea.

I made a Rosemary and Citrus soap today - with real lemon juice in it. EOs were Rosemary, Bergamot and May Chang. I also churned up a little dried rosemary in the grinder and added about a tablespoon to the mix. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
One of my favorite parts of soap making is the excitement to see whats inside when you cut it. The top can come out perfect and yet you dont know till the next day exactly what you have. For this soap, I wanted a big uneven top because i was glittering with 3 different mica glitters. Here is todays cut.

WP2.jpg
WP1.jpg

@msunnerstood , I love that photo!! I've only made 3 batches of soap, so am intimidated by the idea of mixing colours.. yours reminds me of cotton candy, yum!

I'm in the throes of holiday making - yesterday I made some paw wax for the four footers in various homes, and today, I will be making hand salve, and maybe a beer soap.. it'll be a short cure, but I know it won't get used right away, so I may just take the risk....

@msunnerstood , I love that photo!! I've only made 3 batches of soap, so am intimidated by the idea of mixing colours.. yours reminds me of cotton candy, yum!

Thank you. I do HP so sometimes colors are tricky but I did this as an In the Pot swirl. Imade two wells in the batter and added a color of each and just mixed it in a small area. Then took my spatula and just mixed all the batter some. HP doesnt tend to merge colors quickly so you can get away with mixing it a bit. I then just poured it right from the crock pot into the mold.

Rice soap in the slow cooker. Rice water from third washing of purple sticky rice, plus water from boiling white rice, and rice powder added to the oils.. Let's see how it goes.
Unmolded these! I used an ice tray spur of the moment since had a fluid enough HP batter and figured I'll try making them cute lil rice soaps
_20181203_201142.JPG
@msunnerstood, I love looking at your soaps! They inspire me to keep at it with HP instead of CP, to make better looking soaps coz you show they can be done. I love the colors on this one, and it looks so soft :)

View attachment 33476 I turned my Rosemary and Citrus Soap out of its moulds. It looks so creamy, I’m very happy with it. Hope it’s good when I try it out.
Keep us posted on this recipe, KiwiMoose. These are beautiful and I'm curious about your colorants, it's so white. I want to try your scent blend. My son recently told me to combine bergamot and may chang which I never would have thought of on my own, and it's great.

I'm on round 2 of testing a lotion bar recipe -- I'm attempting to duplicate a name brand. First round was a flop (I'll rebatch it later). Second round is so close. These are soooo easy, don't know where they've been all my life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back