What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no! I just realized I made a HUGE mistake! I made my lye solution for ZNSB but forgot to dissolve my salt and baking soda in the water first! And I'm out of NaOH so I can't just make another batch!
GAH! My lye solution and oils are heated and cooling down now. If I add the salt and baking soda to the hot lye solution, will they still dissolve? No. No it will not. Ugh.
Covered up my oils until tomorrow, when I will hopefully have time to run to the hardware store for some emergency lye.

Last edited:
Oh no! I just realized I made a HUGE mistake! I made my lye solution for ZNSB but forgot to dissolve my salt and baking soda in the water first! And I'm out of NaOH so I can't just make another batch!
GAH! My lye solution and oils are heated and cooling down now. If I add the salt and baking soda to the hot lye solution, will they still dissolve? No. No it will not. Ugh.
Covered up my oils until tomorrow, when I will hopefully have time to run to the hardware store for some emergency lye.
No need to wait! Take a little extra distilled water and dissolve just the amount of salt and bicarb that you need for your batch size. You can do that by multiplying your total recipe water number by 1.9% to determine the amount sea salt needed for this recipe, and by 1.7% to determine the amount of bicarb.

Mix that salty solution with the oils at the same time you add the lye solution. That little bit of extra water won't make a difference to the final soap.

I just had a right total shoulder replacement surgery so the only soapy thing I’ve done is wash my hands.
I have had both of mine done, if it was a reverse shoulder replacement, start looking for front hook bras! My left shoulder will not hold up the strap for love or money! It was constantly slipping down and the only ones that don't are the front hook kind because the straps are close together in the back. I got mine at Wacoal.com. If you have Belk in your area, they also carry them. Good luck, the pain isn't too bad, all I used was an ice machine and plain Tylenol for about 10 days, the therapy hurts but keep at it.

Last edited:
I haven't been in the group long enoughtoeven attempt to compete lol. But, i thought it was kinda funny that I got in some sweater knit impression mats today I hadn't realized I even ordered!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241003_181143_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20241003_181143_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    630.4 KB
I haven't been in the group long enoughtoeven attempt to compete lol. But, i thought it was kinda funny that I got in some sweater knit impression mats today I hadn't realized I even ordered!
Please, make some soap with them anyway and show us how it looks! I've been in the group long enough, but my skill and experience level is lacking. I bought a divider mold last month and never had time to use it for the challenge, so I'm making myself forgo buying anything special for this month's challenge. I've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to make a challenge soap, going over amounts, recipes and especially colorants. I only use natural colorants and feel like I won't be able to achieve the colors I'd like with what I have. I have figured out two options I'm going to try, though. I'm sure it'll take somewhere between 2 and 10 soaps to get one I won't be embarrassed to show!😅

You should totally do it! I hadn't done any coloring in my soaps until last month. So the challenge was intimidating but my DH encouraged me to try anyway. Worst that happens is that you make soap!

Edit: even if you can't participate due to the rules you can still participate in the challenge thread!

Last edited:
Please, make some soap with them anyway and show us how it looks! I've been in the group long enough, but my skill and experience level is lacking. I bought a divider mold last month and never had time to use it for the challenge, so I'm making myself forgo buying anything special for this month's challenge. I've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to make a challenge soap, going over amounts, recipes and especially colorants. I only use natural colorants and feel like I won't be able to achieve the colors I'd like with what I have. I have figured out two options I'm going to try, though. I'm sure it'll take somewhere between 2 and 10 soaps to get one I won't be embarrassed to show!😅
Hey a natural batter would look great, kinda like a merino wool knitted sweater! (I also didn't just stick a square column mold in my Amazon cart lol) I'll have to see how one will fit in my little purple mold. I love thelookof those

You should totally do it! I hadn't done any coloring in my soaps until last month. So the challenge was intimidating but my DH encouraged me to try anyway. Worst that happens is that you make soap!

Edit: even if you can't participate due to the rules you can still participate in the challenge thread!
Don't twist my arm lol. I will probably end up trying once I can get caught up with work. and I totally wanna try the Buffalo plaid!

Don't twist my arm lol. I will probably end up trying once I can get caught up with work. and I totally wanna try the Buffalo plaid!
If you become a supporting member of SMF, you can join the challenge without having 50 posts under your belt. Otherwise, you post your attempts in the general challenge thread, but cannot officially enter. Either way, I'd love to see what you make!

A 1-year supporting membership costs less than the knit impression mats and square column mold that didn't end up in your Amazon cart.... Just sayin'.😀

I was on the fence for a long time before buying the membership. I don't regret it for one minute. These people here are amazing! Plus, you get these nifty SMF decals that make your goats proud to be part of your soapmaking addiction - I mean, hobby.😆

Edited to add picture of Soapmaking Forum decal.

Attachments

• 20240614_195633.jpg
    20240614_195633.jpg
    303.1 KB
Last edited:
A 1-year supporting membership costs less than the knit impression mats and square column mold that didn't end up in your Amazon cart.... Just sayin'.😀

I was on the fence for a long time before buying the membership. I don't regret it for one minute. These people here are amazing! Plus, you get these nifty SMF decals that make your goats proud to be part of your soapmaking addiction - I mean, hobby.😆

Edited to add picture of Soapmaking Forum decal.
Are you a used car salesman because you have that pitch down pat, lmbo. But, I'll definitely read up on it once I have time to sit and look

Are you a used car salesman because you have that pitch down pat, lmbo. But, I'll definitely read up on it once I have time to sit and look
I'm not trying to pressure you, honest. The amount of help, advice, encouragement and inclusion I've had in this community is priceless to me. Anyway, I hope you make some knit and buffalo plaid soap, and share pictures whether you enter the challenge or not. 😊

I'm not trying to pressure you, honest. The amount of help, advice, encouragement and inclusion I've had in this community is priceless to me. Anyway, I hope you make some knit and buffalo plaid soap, and share pictures whether you enter the challenge or not. 😊
I know you're helping. The gig was all in fun. From the little I've had time to look around, there's quite the treasuretrove of info here!

Latest posts

Back