What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my disaster kaleidoscope wasn’t completely ruined. Counting to three did create more layers. I tried the squeeze bottle technique with the long tips and since the stencil stem was in the middle it just made it difficult to use the squeeze bottles. I’ll stick to pouring the batter half way down the stem. I did lose quite a bit of soap (3oz maybe?) in the squeeze bottles, but I was able to get some of it out with my spatula and then I just got tired called it the day. I couldn’t get the rest out as my spatula wasn’t long enough, but I am ordering a longer one to make sure I get every last bit out. Overall, not too bad. The learning continues!

Hardly a disaster 😂 My neighbours who drop by to buy my duds at a discount are always aghast at 'how nice' my duds are LOL They will come & buy a pile of them for personal use & gifts.

My first pull-through soaps showed zero design whatsoever. Yours are not perfect, but they are definitely passable, and I'm sure people would buy them.

This wasn't today, it was yesterday's soapy thang. I packaged and labeled soaps. I made and labeled lotion bars. We had our annual Christmas Par-tay. Party favors included Mrs. Zing's cranberry nut bread and my soaps and lotion bars.

Am really lovin' the Abyssinian oil in my new and improved lotion bars! Am feeling just a titch disloyal to my mmmeadowfoam seed oil....
I guess I'm going to have to jump on the meadow foam/Abyssinian oil bandwagon ~ I haven't even tried them yet 🤔🤔🤔

Hardly a disaster 😂 My neighbours who drop by to buy my duds at a discount are always aghast at 'how nice' my duds are LOL They will come & buy a pile of them for personal use & gifts.

My first pull-through soaps showed zero design whatsoever. Yours are not perfect, but they are definitely passable, and I'm sure people would buy them.
I do miss selling my soaps.
I was not expecting a pattern at all as the soap was so dang thick by the time I finished. I’m just shocked something showed up.

Last edited:
I use both together in whatever I am making because they both lend their own very nice properties to an end product.

Bakuchi seed oil is also rocking my world at the moment....
I keep reading that seed oil incorrectly. UGH.

I did absolutely nothing since before Christmas. Sick in bed from Christmas day until Jan 1; however, am down 14 pounds. Was able to start eating a tiny bit yesterday and dragged my sorry ass back to work today (I work for a heart surgeon), and nobody is around to assist when we get sick. I will never catch up. I really should take a picture of the piles on my desk LOL.

I also need to make some batches "stat" for upcoming events.

I did absolutely nothing since before Christmas. Sick in bed from Christmas day until Jan 1; however, am down 14 pounds. Was able to start eating a tiny bit yesterday and dragged my sorry ass back to work today (I work for a heart surgeon), and nobody is around to assist when we get sick. I will never catch up. I really should take a picture of the piles on my desk LOL.

I giggled about reading the oil name incorrectly ~ because I do the same thing 🤣🤣🤣
I'm sorry to hear you were sick through the holiday ~ glad you are on the mend though ☺️

I am officially beyond grumpy and on to the land of grrr. My latest batch of ZNSB is at 4 weeks cured and some of the bars are starting to develop those same yellow/orange spots yet again, so it wasn't the questionable stainless pitcher. Now, I'm starting to wonder if something was wrong with the aloe leaf I turned into gel because that's all I can think of. I have a fresh batch I just made so I'm going to make two test batches tonight, one with the fresh batch of aloe gel and the other with no aloe at all and compare them to the current problem batch. Ugh.

I am officially beyond grumpy and on to the land of grrr. My latest batch of ZNSB is at 4 weeks cured and some of the bars are starting to develop those same yellow/orange spots yet again, so it wasn't the questionable stainless pitcher. Now, I'm starting to wonder if something was wrong with the aloe leaf I turned into gel because that's all I can think of. I have a fresh batch I just made so I'm going to make two test batches tonight, one with the fresh batch of aloe gel and the other with no aloe at all and compare them to the current problem batch. Ugh.
I'm of no help ~ the only batch I made so far was the soap my hubby actually liked and it has not developed any spots 🤷🏼‍♀️ I did not vary from the recipe though

On NYE, I made a batch of soap and split it in half. I felt out of practice, as I needed to make somewhere around 700 trips to my soap room to get everything I needed. I made lye solution for the batch, and MB Lye for the future. I tried out most of my new cavity molds for fun. Today’s soapy thing was unmolding them.
Lesson learned - for the fight club mold, don’t just pour batter in and tap it down. I’ll pour a little bit and smooch it in to the writing next time.
Everything I used is from BB. The flowers are scented with Camellia Sugar FO, and for color I used buttercup yellow, Kermit green and TD with a bit of Fired up Fuchsia. The hearts are scented with BB Lychee Red Tea FO (oh my goodness, yummy scent!) which says it accelerates, so I knew to keep design simple. I didn’t add FO to the white part, and did 2 shades of Fired up Fuchsia with TD to get pinks I liked. I poured the 2 pinks at the same time and swirled in each mold randomly.
IMG_5057.jpeg

I use both together in whatever I am making because they both lend their own very nice properties to an end product.

Bakuchi seed oil is also rocking my world at the moment....
I have been using Cacay oil in my face lotion, eye cream and lotion bars. All I can say is wow! It’s not greasy and it really seems to add an extra something to everything it goes in. I gave a friend a lotion bar and she said a split in her finger was healing much faster than she expected. My hands and cuticles are in better shape than they usually are at this time of year. I only sell to friends and don’t make any claims about what my products can do. The only downside is that it is fairly expensive and I have only found it in Canada at Windy Point Soap. Shipping to the US takes an extra week to 10 days.
My soapy thing today was making a batch of soap scented with Key Lime Pie EO blend. It smells lovely.

My soapy thing was cleaning a 2500g batch of saved cooking fats - a mix of lard and tallow. This will be used to make my husband's favorite 20% neem oil soap. He goes through soap like no tomorrow, and his favorite Dragon's Blood scent is strong enough to cover up all the smells. Honestly, the cleaned fats don't have much smell to me at all, and I don't mind the smell of the neem, either. But the DB will be a good insurance policy in case others with better sniffers might smell us coming. ;)

EDIT: how are you reading the oil name?? I obviously am missing something, which is shocking with the filthy, potty-mind I have been blessed with 😂
_____

You would think a heart surgeon would be kinda concerned to see someone who he employs down 14 pounds & coming back to work already.... :smallshrug: but hey, who am I? LOL Definitely NOT a doctor 😁 Well, maybe a 'witch doctor' 😂 Seriously though....what in the actual %#@! ❓

Don't feel bad. I am just getting to the point of pumping out some very small test batches. I've done a total of 2 so far....which equals a whopping 2 pounds 😂 I have been otherwise occupied with many, more important things at the moment....looking after all aspects of my own health takes priority over everything else, no matter what #1. This winter has been emotionally brutal to wade through....the waves have been absolutely intense.

Good luck & look after your body, mind, emotions & spirit ❤️

I have been using Cacay oil in my face lotion, eye cream and lotion bars. All I can say is wow! It’s not greasy and it really seems to add an extra something to everything it goes in.

Yes! Cacay oil! It's awesome stuff! I have a facial oil & hair oil I make, both of which are far more effective than anything I have ever tried, and cacay is a nice addition.

EDIT: how are you reading the oil name?? I obviously am missing something, which is shocking with the filthy, potty-mind I have been blessed with 😂
_____

You would think a heart surgeon would be kinda concerned to see someone who he employs down 14 pounds & coming back to work already.... :smallshrug: but hey, who am I? LOL Definitely NOT a doctor 😁 Well, maybe a 'witch doctor' 😂 Seriously though....what in the actual %#@! ❓

Don't feel bad. I am just getting to the point of pumping out some very small test batches. I've done a total of 2 so far....which equals a whopping 2 pounds 😂 I have been otherwise occupied with many, more important things at the moment....looking after all aspects of my own health takes priority over everything else, no matter what #1. This winter has been emotionally brutal to wade through....the waves have been absolutely intense.

Yes! Cacay oil! It's awesome stuff! I have a facial oil & hair oil I make, both of which are far more effective than anything I have ever tried, and cacay is a nice addition.
@QuasiQuadrant thank you for being concerned for my wellbeing, at least someone does LOL. He did mention I look dreadful (gee thanks). Anywhoo, I feel great today. I guess it just needed to run its course (treacherous downhill course it was).

"Advice" - Don't look too much into the oil name we keep mis-reading.

I am interested in hearing about the Cacay oil. I will do a search on here if there is an actual thread on it.

I cleaned up my soap workshop last night to create something tonight. Maybe that is why I felt better today...?

_____

Switch the "a" and the "u" sound and you get something resembling a substitute word for something stinky 🤣🤣🤣

I infused some oils with paprika, ratanjot and dried nettle to make some all natural soaps.
All together or individually?

After an end of year soaping blitz to get ready for hosting the January challenge, my only soapy thing for today is to announce that the challenge is posted. I hope to see you there!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...–-mini-drop-mini-drip-swirl.91958/post-993899
Yay! Let me get my popcorn ready! 🍿🍿🍿

After an end of year soaping blitz to get ready for hosting the January challenge, my only soapy thing for today is to announce that the challenge is posted. I hope to see you there!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...–-mini-drop-mini-drip-swirl.91958/post-993899

My soapy-thing today is related to this, I ordered squeeze bottles for the challenge because I don't have any yet! Now I'm daydreaming about what colors I want to use :)

I meant to photograph some of my soaps today but I wound up taking a nap instead, oops.

Latest posts

Back