What is your favorite mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsondn

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to CP soap making. I have bought all the supplies but my molds. I just can't seem to decide. Any suggestions would be appreciated! TIA

I prefer silicone because I don't have to line them. The problem with silicone is it's harder to hold heat in them (sometimes) and you can get partial gel.

I use the 8" silicone loaf mold from Crafter's Choice (WholeSuppliesPlus) or the silicone loaf mold from Brambleberry. Mine are the 8" molds, but they phased those out and came back with a 10" silicone loaf mold. They do bow out in the middle after a bit of use, but i'm going to build a frame to sit them in to prevent bowing. I have wooden molds, but almost always use the silicone loaf molds. The one from WSP holds about 44oz (of soap batter).

My favorite and only molds now are my wood molds. I make my own but you can always use a small empty drawer, a wine box (call you local liquor store), or even go to ikea for a wood storage bin/box - I think they still have them. I used to use the silicone molds but for some weird reason, I have such a hard time getting the soap out....they just don't slide out for me so I just don't use them anymore

I'm very partial to my fully collapsable wood log/slab combo molds, which I line with either Mylar or decorative fondant sheet mats made out of silicone. I like them for their versatility (they are designed to be used in either log or slab mode depending on on my mood), and it's very easy to achieve full gel in them every time (which is very important to me). Since they are fully collapsable, unmolding is a breeze. I also like my collapsable wood vertical mold from Brambleberry (it gives me more swirling options).

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I also like my collapsable wood vertical mold from Brambleberry (it gives me more swirling options).

The mold IrishLass mentioned is a really nice one. It has separate acrylic side liners so it doesn't have to be lined with freezer paper. You just want to make sure when you take it apart you slide the acrylic liners off the soap instead of pulling. Pulling on the liners can damage the loaf.

Thanks for the input ladies!

Does anyone know where to buy the wood/collapsible molds mentioned here?

Thanks!!

I have both silicone and wood. Love the no lining of silicone but like Hazel said it doesn't hold temp as well as wood and I hate lining the wooden mold. I did finally break down and buy a no line wooden mold from Lifeworks. Love it, it was worth every penny.

I love my Soaphutch HDPE molds, but they might be a bit pricey for someone just starting out. The silicone loaf molds from Bramble Berry or Wholesale Supplies Plus might be a good, economical option.

Back