What is this? Looks like mold or frost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Similar recipies ( the uncut loaf has less butter and more oil) similar results. What is causing frosting?
IMG_0079.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0075.png
    IMG_0075.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 0
Soda ash can be caused by a high amount of water in your recipe. You might want to drop the ratio a bit - say to 1.7 or 1.5.

Soda ash can be caused by a high amount of water in your recipe. You might want to drop the ratio a bit - say to 1.7 or 1.5.
Interesting! I say this because my first attempt didn’t “ash” but it also was a Bramble Berry recipe. I’ll try another with less water and let you know 😏

I just noticed something when going back to the soap calc. The Lye ratio was set 2:1. If I set it to 33% is that closer to your suggestion?

2:1 is 33.33333% lye concentration, so very close to 33%. 1.7:1 is 37% lye concentration and 1.5:1 is 40% lye concentration. While it’s true that using a higher lye concentration can help to cut down on soda ash or even eliminate it, there are other considerations to using a higher lye concentration. I encourage you to read more before going that route.

I have to agree with @Mobjack Bay. While it is true that a 40% lye concentration can actually slow trace, if you are using a fragrance, you have to be very careful that it doesn't accelerate at all. A fragrance that is pretty well behaved at 33% LC can move very fast at a higher lye concentration. I have been playing around with increasing my lye concentration (I've used 33% for years) and I think anything up to 35% stays workable and does help prevent ash. I hate ash, but would rather deal with removing it than racing to get my soap in the mold. Here are a couple of videos from one of the early SMF challenges (high water/low water) that might help. I'm a visual learner, so I find something like this useful.

Interesting! I say this because my first attempt didn’t “ash” but it also was a Bramble Berry recipe. I’ll try another with less water and let you know 😏

I just noticed something when going back to the soap calc. The Lye ratio was set 2:1. If I set it to 33% is that closer to your suggestion?
Simply change the ratio (I thin it is the line below the percentage) to 1.7:1. The percentage will change automatically.

Latest posts

Back