Wet skin moisturizer in bar form

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubicle

Reaction score
I'm looking for a body lotion bar that I can use after showering (and hand wiping water off my skin), that emulsifies the excess water into a lotion, without the need for drying off

Any recipes/recommendations?

What are you seeking is usually called an emulsified lotion bar. I love them for after the shower! :)

I really like this recipe from Whole Elise. It's an emulsified lotion bar, aka body butter bar, that can be used on wet or dry skin.

I also love this one from Emilie Lefler. It's a Lush dupe that is quite scrubby and is meant to be used in the shower. You could omit the scrubby stuff, but I can't say if the rest of the recipe might also need to be adjusted to offset the omission of those ingredients.

Last edited:
What are you seeking is usually called an emulsified lotion bar. I love them for after the shower! :)

I really like this recipe from Whole Elise. It's an emulsified lotion bar, aka body butter bar, that can be used on wet or dry skin.

I also love this one from Emilie Lefler. It's a Lush dupe that is quite scrubby and is meant to be used in the shower. You could omit the scrubby stuff, but I can't say if the rest of the recipe might also need to be adjusted to offset the omission of those ingredients.
@AliOop can I pick your brain please? I just made the Lush Buffy bar dupe and was looking at the body butter bar from Whole Elise.

Do you think swapping kokum butter for the cocoa butter in the Buffy dupe would make it last longer? I love it, but I can’t justify the cost vs longevity.

For the body butter bar I need to sub the wax and the olive 1000 (wow that stuff is spendy!!!!) I am getting confused with all the different ewaxes. That stuff is too expensive to make an error. What do you recommend?

Sorry if I’m hijacking a post!

Do you think swapping kokum butter for the cocoa butter in the Buffy dupe would make it last longer? I love it, but I can’t justify the cost vs longevity.
You could certainly try that swap and see. Honestly, I think what makes makes the Buffy Bar go away so fast is the high amount of exfoliants. If it were just a lotion bar with no exfoliants, it would last a lot longer. That's my theory, anyway.

For the body butter bar I need to sub the wax and the olive 1000 (wow that stuff is spendy!!!!) I am getting confused with all the different ewaxes. That stuff is too expensive to make an error. What do you recommend?
Regular old beeswax should work, but obviously it isn't vegan like c-wax, if that matters to you. You'd also need to use more of it, since c-wax is much harder/denser. The swap ratio is usually 2:1 b-wax to c-wax, but not always. I'd start with less than that, since you can always bump it up if needed, but you can't take it out.

After one or two tries, I don't buy fancy emulsifiers anymore. Generic e-wax has never failed me yet!

You could certainly try that swap and see. Honestly, I think what makes makes the Buffy Bar go away so fast is the high amount of exfoliants. If it were just a lotion bar with no exfoliants, it would last a lot longer. That's my theory, anyway.

Regular old beeswax should work, but obviously it isn't vegan like c-wax, if that matters to you. You'd also need to use more of it, since c-wax is much harder/denser. The swap ratio is usually 2:1 b-wax to c-wax, but not always. I'd start with less than that, since you can always bump it up if needed, but you can't take it out.

After one or two tries, I don't buy fancy emulsifiers anymore. Generic e-wax has never failed me yet!
Thank you! Now off to try to save up my pennys😂

I don't think the more common e-waxes, like Emulsifying Wax NF or Polawax, will give quite the same feel as Olivem 1000. I haven't used O 1000, but have read that it is a light non-greasy emulsifier while the common e-waxes are heavier and more occlusive/greasy.

For one of my runs of a Buffy type bar, I used kokum and cocoa butter, along with rice husks and rice bran powder (see below). My notes say "a little melty, but a nice polish, try it with much less exfoliant." The addition of the kokum hardened the bar a bit compared with using shea, but I wouldn't say there was a huge difference. I did not try 100% kokum, but maybe @not_ally has.

I agree with @AliOop that the exfoliants play a major role in the behavior of the bar. (rheology modifiers) The ground up beans in the original bar were too much for my skin, but then the exfoliation seemed too light when I used an almond and rice flour combo and the texture of the bar changed quite a bit, like verging on getting mushy when wet. I liked the rice husks and rice bran powder for a bit more exfoliation compared with almond and/or rice flour, and the fact that they are not [as] absorbent as the flours, but I think some fine powdery exfoliant/flour is needed to get a minimal/acceptable level of creaminess in the wet bar. At some point I will get back to trying a rice flour, rice bran and rice husk combo.

When I'm testing, I initially make tiny amounts, like 30 g, so as not to waste precious/pricey ingredients.
1719667807463.png

I have to admit, I’ve only tried Olivem 1000 in two recipes: a hair conditioner bar, and a hand-body lotion. I didn’t feel any significant difference in either, which is why I stayed with e-wax for the cost savings. Perhaps the difference would be more noticeable (to me) in a face lotion?

My understanding was that @Barefoot Farm Girl was going to use kokum instead of cocoa butter. Your suggestion to use it in lieu of shea should create a more significant difference in bar hardness. Good call!

I don't think the more common e-waxes, like Emulsifying Wax NF or Polawax, will give quite the same feel as Olivem 1000. I haven't used O 1000, but have read that it is a light non-greasy emulsifier while the common e-waxes are heavier and more occlusive/greasy.

For one of my runs of a Buffy type bar, I used kokum and cocoa butter, along with rice husks and rice bran powder (see below). My notes say "a little melty, but a nice polish, try it with much less exfoliant." The addition of the kokum hardened the bar a bit compared with using shea, but I wouldn't say there was a huge difference. I did not try 100% kokum, but maybe @not_ally has.

I agree with @AliOop that the exfoliants play a major role in the behavior of the bar. (rheology modifiers) The ground up beans in the original bar were too much for my skin, but then the exfoliation seemed too light when I used an almond and rice flour combo and the texture of the bar changed quite a bit, like verging on getting mushy when wet. I liked the rice husks and rice bran powder for a bit more exfoliation compared with almond and/or rice flour, and the fact that they are not [as] absorbent as the flours, but I think some fine powdery exfoliant/flour is needed to get a minimal/acceptable level of creaminess in the wet bar. At some point I will get back to trying a rice flour, rice bran and rice husk combo.

When I'm testing, I initially make tiny amounts, like 30 g, so as not to waste precious/pricey ingredients.
View attachment 78002
Thank you! It never occurred to me to replace a softer solid oil with a harder solid oil🤦‍♀️
I didn’t like that it was harder to rub on my skin than I thought it would be so I was going to lower the exfoliants a tad. I used Jasmine rice, red beans from Walmart and eyeballed the almond flour.

I’m in no real hurry to tackle the emulsified lotion bar yet, I have to stay in my lane…..so hard, I want to make all the goodies! I’m getting great feed back from my beta victims umm I mean testers on the soaps and solid lotion bars so far, and it’s sooooo tempting to add to my wheelhouse. My OCD is at war with my ADD lol

Back