Water Temp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb and obvious question, but can I use cold water to make my lye water? I always keep my jug of distiller water sitting out at room temp, but the lye water takes FOREVER to cool. Is there any reason I can't keep the water jug in the fridge? Would it help speed up the cooling of the lye water? Thanks for the help!

Sure you can. A lot of people freeze their liquid when making milk soap to keep the heat down.
When I don't have a lot of time, I just make the lye solution as normal and put the container in another container filled with ice cubes.

You could probably even freeze it into ice cubes if you wanted. That is what I do when I use milk or beer.

You could probably even freeze it into ice cubes if you wanted. That is what I do when I use milk or beer.
I do freeze some distilled water into ice cubes, just as I would with tea, milk or any other liquid I'm going to be using...and it does keep the lye water from getting so hot to begin with, which in turn cuts down on the wait time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing...I will use cold water in hopes of cutting down on some of the wait time :grin:

I use distilled water frozen ice cubes saves time and gives you time to work with batch before trace gets to thick.

Latest posts

Back