Very, very new to CP soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainsparky

Reaction score
I know that from reading other Forums the problems are usually what you see first and foremost and the terms that are used by the "regulars" can be a bit daunting to say the least. We are ready to jump into this but wish to do so with as little waste as possible so please bear with us until we get through a few batches..................please. :oops:

I'm liking y'all already, if you need help with authentic Southern recipes for food, electrical questions (I've done that since 1973) or want to go for a motorcycle ride with someone that rides sensibly just ask. Looking forward to the first batch. Thanks again :D

I'll send some picture to you via e-mail :) Well, today we jump into this CP with both or all four feet. Have a brand new set of stuff from stick blenders to Pyrex measuring cups, a new 5 pound mold box, gloves, goggles, just everything the we have read about and seen done including thermometers, freezer wrap, and new electronic scale. We have purchased a beginners "CP Kit" as well just to get the hang of trace and the feel of this process.

We will let you know how we did today, and again in a couple of days when we unmold for the first time.

Don't use Pyrex for measuring your lye - glass containers can shatter.

A HDPE plastic pitcher or genuine stainless steel is a better bet.

Good luck, be safe, and happy soaping!

judymoody said:
Don't use Pyrex for measuring your lye - glass containers can shatter.

A HDPE plastic pitcher or genuine stainless steel is a better bet.

Good luck, be safe, and happy soaping!

BIG thanks for that 8)

Hmmm, I have always used pyrex for my lye, it was my understanding never to use anything but glass or stainless steel to mix lye in because it would eat plastic. I have never had any issues with it shattering. I always put it in the bottom of the sink when I mix and use a slightly warm water.

edit - hope you had fun and I can't wait to see how your soap turns out tomorrow!

ericllucas said:
What will your second batch be?

Being shy, we bought two "kits". The first was a beginners kit and it is in the mold and it is a plain Jane soap but we already changed that by replacing 3 ounces of water with 3 ounces of goats milk and some strawberry seeds for exfoliant purposes. She had some fragrances from an attempt long ago so we incorporated them as well. Pictures to follow :)

The second kit is a honey, oatmeal run.
We are probably tackling that one Tuesday night. Then it will be the sickness and buying more fragrance and colors and on and on it goes. Yes we are having fun. Best fun you can have with your clothes, rubber gloves, and goggles on :D

Soapy Gurl said:
Hmmm, I have always used pyrex for my lye, it was my understanding never to use anything but glass or stainless steel to mix lye in because it would eat plastic. I have never had any issues with it shattering. I always put it in the bottom of the sink when I mix and use a slightly warm water.

edit - hope you had fun and I can't wait to see how your soap turns out tomorrow!

We combined in a stainless steel bowl and transferred to pyrex measuring cup for ease of pouring into the oils mixture. Worked fine for us.

There is actually quite a bit written about pyrex shattering, especially the newer pyrex, at higher temperatures. I was using pyrex pitchers but I switched to a heat resistant plastic juice container that works fine and is deeper to prevent splashing.

chrisofcups said:
...switched to a heat resistant plastic juice container

Number 5 plastic seems to work just fine. It handles the heat and the lye just fine. Rubbermaid has a nice one, one gallon, at Walmart for cheap. You could use any plastic container that is number 5 plastic, however.

Alrighty, citicize away. I know there are not enough strawberry seeds in there but next time..................

Our very first batch ever from a purchased kit. Replaced 3 ounces of weighed water with same in frozen ice cubes of goats milk. Goats milk added right after initial stick blender run (barely mixed), and t was more or less crushed into a loose crytaline form. This is after a little over 24 hours.

100_6113.jpg

Nothing wrong with that bar of soap. Sure, you could add more strawberry seeds, or grits, or cornmeal. I say put a gold star on your refrigerator for today!

Your first batch goes in the "win" column. Looks very nice.

As for what to do tomorrow....maybe try some color...paprika (peach) or annatto (orange). I do 6-week cold infusions BUT I believe you can do a warm infusion for 40 minutes on the stove - unless you want the scratchy texture for exfoliation, then just add it either at trace or mix into the oils before adding lye.

Welcome to your new obsession!

Thanks, I do want to try the paprika for myself before using it in a for sale product to see how it reacts with the skin. Thanks y'all, we feel enlightened now. I know disaster awaits but for now we are very happy with the results. I am happy that the goats milk did not turn/burn orange.

Back