Vanillin is crazy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a batch of lard soap. (Thanks @AliOop for the recipe!) I'm still waiting for it to cure but wish I'd taken some before pictures because this is crazy.
I'm still new to soaping and decided to use a fall fragrance that said it would discolor to brown. Never tried a fragrance with vanillin in it before but I thought it would be perfect given the season.
When I first cut the soap (after 24hrs) it was snow white so I thought maybe my recipe wouldn't discolor much. It's been 10 days and I've been watching it as it just keeps getting darker. I'm interested to see what color it ends up being after another 2 weeks.

20240831_202312.jpg

It smells so good! It was the Autumn Magic fragrance from nature's garden and I'm having a hard time not just grabbing one to use. Patience is hard!
Not to enable your impatience😉, but as long as your soap is zap-free, you can go ahead and try it now. I like to test mine once a week or so during cure. It really is amazing to see how much the soap improves as it cures. Mostly, I notice that the lather gets bubblier and the bars get harder. Go ahead, give your hands a wash and let us know how it is!😃

@ackosel you've convinced me.
View attachment 78805
It's zap free and doing great so far! Feels lovely and has a nice lather.
Definitely a keeper recipe. Did make a few changes since I didn't have sodium citrate or sorbitol. I added sugar and some sodium lactate and superfatted at 3%.
It looks so creamy and luxurious! It sure is fun to see the nice soap we can make!

Back