using soap calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnedlight

Reaction score
When I first started making soaps I didn't understand soap calc at all, but I'm gradually coming to understand the various variables and having fun making up recipes. There's something I don't get though, when you input a castille recipe, the calc's 'qualities' column basically says that the soap will be terrible, far too soft and with no cleansing abilities at all.. I imagine I shouldn't worry too much about what it says and just experiment, just wondered how others approach this?

I adore SoapCalc but it's definitely not 100% accurate on all things. The hardness of olive oil, like you pointed out, is definitely off because everyone who's made Castile knows that it's brick-hard once it's cured.

I still pay attention the numbers on SoapCalc and use them as a general guideline on a lot of things, but just take them with a grain of salt and know that sometimes your soap is more than the sum of the numbers shown. :)

I recently made soap with numbers that look pretty bad on soapcalc:
40% Olive oil
40 Sunflower oil
15 % Coconut oil
5% Safflower oil

I used goat milk powder, too, mixed in the oils. It's still in the mold. I'm expecting that it will need a long cure before it is hard enough. Has anyone made a similar soap? I wonder if it is DOS prone? I am curious how it will turn out. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Back