TWO Questions :D

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupertspal42

Reaction score
Uno : Where do you think the best place to purchase lye is, where have you guys had the best experience?

Dos: I've read that paraffin can be used as a preservative as well, how many people can say that they can support this info? I haven't read much else into it, however, I was thinking if this is true maybe I can test this in lotion or a scrub or something?

Re: Dos Questions :D

rupertspal42 said:
Uno : Where do you think the best place to purchase lye is, where have you guys had the best experience?

Dos: I've read that paraffin can be used as a preservative as well, how many people can say that they can support this info? I haven't read much else into it, however, I was thinking if this is true maybe I can test this in lotion or a scrub or something?

I get my lye from aaa chemicals, cheap price, the only problem, the pellets stick to plastic containers

Lye is very static. It sticks to fleecy things, and can stick to the inside of the container, making it seem that it's jumping out as you open it.
A good hint that I read somewhere for this is to use fabric softener sheets, or just some fabric softener on a cloth, wiped around the container before opening. Apparently it cuts the static immensley.

whoa! That's creepy... can lye burn you before it's combined with water? (seems like a silly question.. but there are some powder chemicals that can.. :? )

Well I wouldn't recommend touching or handling lye with bare hands, but it's definitely more caustic when it is mixed with water. I think it reacts somehow with the something in the water.

yes.. lol I wouldn't.. my brother probably would just to see.. because he's a tard like that.. (to think he has three kids.. :? ) but I see your point haha... i've heard a few peeps reccommend AAA to buy their lye.. :wink:

i buy mine at ace hardware. it's the only place i can find it so even though it is on the other side of town it it totally worth it cuz the guy said he'd order me a shipment special if i wanted.

I recommend They Lye Guy https://www.thelyeguy.com/store/store.php. AAA is good too.

The granules do cling, but no - no burning without moisture. BUT the moisture on your skin will be enough, given a little time, so you want to brush it off as soon as possible.

Tricks:
- DON'T WEAR FLEECE - it attracts lye and you will end up with it inside your sleeve and get nifty dots on your inner arm. ask me how I found out. twice.
- fabric softener sheets are your friend. wipe the outside of the plastic jar, then when you open it, take a quick pass around the mouth where there are no crystals. then wipe your measuring container. then throw the sheet away as some crystals are bound to be clinging to it.
- breeze is great for wafting away fumes, but also for lifting crystals into the air...

If I am having static issues I set my scale atop a terrycloth dish towel which snags any stray crystals. Then when I'm done I just bundle it up and toss it into the washing machine.

I also use AAA for my lye. There is a chemical company 10 minutes from my house that sells lye in bulk, but even with the cost of shipping added AAA is still cheaper.

Yes, I really like them and it is good quality lye. My only beif, which really isn't their fault, is that it takes a week to get to me. I live clear across the country from them :)

rupertspal42 said:
whoa! That's creepy... can lye burn you before it's combined with water? (seems like a silly question.. but there are some powder chemicals that can.. :? )

Yes it can , I was wearing a long sleeved sweat shirt with loose cuffs and didn't know the lye had "flown" up my sleeve until it started to burn. In my experience the finer the lye crystals are the more static they accumulate. I don't buy my lye from that company anymore . I am in Canada .

Kitn

Latest posts

Back