Trading vs Selling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lindy,

How many batches would you recommend to make? Would you make various batches of the same recipe?

So far we have made 3 different recipes and planning to make another new recipe today. I made a wood mould and the soap has turned out much nicer then the cereal box I used.

I know when I read your other posts, you had said that when we give out test samples to people we need to fill out the CNF. Do we still do that even if were just giving it to our family to test for us? Thanks again. Im learning a lot in a short of time.

It's not a matter of how many batches you make. It's a matter of taking the time to perfect and fully test your products before you even consider selling soap. You are by no means even close to selling your soap. I have had a few people stop by my booth and tell me they bought soap from a new soapmaker and are hesitant to buy handcrafted soap again. When that happens I see red and have to spend time convincing them that I am not new to the soap world and have fully tested and developed all of my products.

Just because you have a few batches under your belt does not mean you are ready to sell. In this business all sorts of problems can present themselves when you think you're on the right track and doing everything right. Do you know for a fact that your soap won't develop DOS after a year of storage? Have you studied the oil and butter properties so you can put together your own recipe? Do you know enough about the colours and scents you're using to know they are safe and used in the correct amounts? Will the scent and colour fade over time? Those are just a few of the many questions you should have the answer to before selling anything to the public.

Show some respect to your future customers and fellow soap makers by not entering into the market place too soon. I spent two years testing and developing my products and I'm very glad I did because I now have a loyal customer base that know they can expect excellent products and accurate answers to their many, many questions.

I'm with 100% Natural and Lindy. You need a good year to know what your soap will be like in 3, 6, 9 & 12 mos. I researched and made my products for just over a year before I ventured into selling it. I gave way 100's of bars to family, friends, co-workers for feedback on my products. Even after selling for 3+ years I look as some of my first soaps that I still have hanging around and like Lindy am now pretty embarrased by their size, looks etc...

Thanks for all your replies. I Know i don't want to rush into it. How do I go about formulating my own recipe and know how the bar of soap will turn out? I have seen the chart where it tells which oils do what, but how do I turn that into a good bar and know what it will be like for the finished product.

Is it better to make a lot of batches and let them sit for the year and see how they turn out after the year? Should we try a bar after the 4 week cure time, then say in a few months after that to see how it is after that? From what I have been reading it seems like soap is like a fine wine, the longer you age it the better. LOL.

Thanks for all your help.

@scottief: I mean absolutely no disrespect from this comment, but the sheer number of questions you have re: soap making indicates you are far, far away from having the requisite knowledge and experience necessary to craft and sell your soaps successfully. Slow down; learn the craft, enjoy the ride -- it's an exciting adventure (we can all attest to that), but you need to crawl before you can walk. Don't even try to run yet!

But, by all means, research the regulations and requirements for where you live. It's always better to go into things like this with your eyes wide open.

I'd love to sell my soaps; I've got friends willing to feature them in their market stalls and stores -- but I can't. Kitchener, Ontario doesn't permit manufacturing businesses to setup shop in residential areas. That means, I can't make soap in my home for sale. And, as I also can't afford to lease another location, there's no way my dream will become a reality. Maybe yours can... in time.

Last edited:
goteeguy,

Where is there a kitchen you can "rent"? Churches often have kitchens...and do you really need a kitchen...maybe there's a basement, or a patio (I make my soap outside...but no plans to make a business of it)....or a....school or an organization/club that would let you use their space (if you find one in the right area?

..............How do I go about formulating my own recipe and know how the bar of soap will turn out?...............

The same way one gets to Carnegie Hall - practice!

When you make your first soaps and then you learn a little bit about some finer points - upping olive oil is likely to do X, upping the coconut will result in Y and so on, then you can start thinking about what you are looking to do with your bars and aim towards that, tweaking and altering as you go, learning with each step.

I'd love to sell my soaps; I've got friends willing to feature them in their market stalls and stores -- but I can't. Kitchener, Ontario doesn't permit manufacturing businesses to setup shop in residential areas. That means, I can't make soap in my home for sale. And, as I also can't afford to lease another location, there's no way my dream will become a reality. Maybe yours can... in time.

the idea of renting a space is great! if churches or schools don't work out, what about something like this? you'll just have to drive home VERY CAREFULLY. OR check what exactly does "manufacturing" mean. mix everything separately at your location, and can you do the final mixing at home? I know this is heading into grey areas....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-commercial-o...-studio-and-treatment-room-for-rent/574127382

Hi you can open a Facebook page for your soaps like I have done
"Soapy Sheila's a Handmade Soaps"
Take a visit x

The best way to start formulating your own recipes is to know the properties of the oils and what they bring to the party. Then go on a soap calc and start playing to find the numbers you would want in a bar or bars of soap. when you think you fould something that you like then make it and let it cure. After cure try it out at 4 wks, 6 wks etc...then have friends/family try it. Feedback is great. I agree with effy what does opening a facebook page have to do with the topic from the op.

The reason I mentioned renting/using space in a church or school is that I've read about a couple of baking business that started because friends had encouraged people to start selling "Aunt Martha's blueberry muffins".
This is the U.S., and you can't sell food without jumping through a lot of hoops. They couldn't see food made in their home kitchens unless they made extensive safety upgrade.

One of them had the brilliant idea of renting the kitchen of a church that prepared meals for the homeless....so it was already up to code!

Another baker rented a restaurant's kitchen/equipment during their non business hours.

goteeguy's predicament really bothers for some reason; I hope there's a solution here!

Thanks for all the info. I defiantly don't want to rush into it. I want to learn and get good at it first. I just want to research as much as I can so when the time comes, if I do want to do a business I know what to do.

Would you recommend to make one batch of soap, see how it turns out then try to up one oil to see how that changes it? Is that what you mean by upping the oils?

I guess the biggest thing is to learn what each oil does and how it reacts to different amounts.

Would you recommend trying recipes offline first, then once I get comfortable try making my own?

scottief,

I was replying to the author of the original post in this thread; who has made hundrends of bars of soap and was interested in possibly selling.
sorry for the confusion.

scottief, not to sound rude, but you're going a little off topic from the OP's thread. I would recommend you read a lot through the Beginners portions of this forum. Also, watch Soaping101 and/or SoapQueen videos on youtube. there has been very many threads on how to proceed as a beginner. take a search through the forum and you will find all the answers to your questions. best of luck, and hope to see some pictures of your soaps soon!

Hmmmmm... renting a school or church kitchen may be possible -- I'd never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion lenarenee. I also just spoke with a friend and he offered up his garage as he lives in a location with appropriate zoning. I just hate having to go through so much trouble to do what I already do.

oh! but that could work! maybe make/buy some extra molds so you can do a few batches at a time, and bring them home for packaging?

Back