Too much scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael24

Reaction score
Does any method exist to get rid of the scent in a soap? I melted the mixture and cooked it for a while but the fragrance would not diminish. It is solid again and the scent is still too strong. Used B.B. Bonsai . Any suggestions such as rebatching it so that exposure to lye and added oils will obliterate the scent? Help please.

How long ago did you make the soap? How big of a batch and how much FO? often a strong scent will fade as it cures.

You can shred it up with a cheese grater and add it to a unscented batch. 2 parts new soap, 1 part soap shreds.

Scent usually diminishes with time, so just aging will help. However, if you think you really overdosed it, and you like the scent enough to make more soap, rebatching with additional unscented soap of a similar recipe will fix you up. Shredding and mixing into a fresh batch works fine too, there is no need to actually melt them together.

I use scent with a very light hand, I find most of them very strong for me. Other people like more.

Scent usually diminishes with time, so just aging will help. However, if you think you really overdosed it, and you like the scent enough to make more soap, rebatching with additional unscented soap of a similar recipe will fix you up. Shredding and mixing into a fresh batch works fine too, there is no need to actually melt them together.

I use scent with a very light hand, I find most of them very strong for me. Other people like more.
Right.

No need to rebatch. Just shred it, wet the shreds lightly with a spray bottle and put them into new, unscented soap at up to 1/3 shreds.

How long ago did you make the soap? How big of a batch and how much FO? often a strong scent will fade as it cures.

You can shred it up with a cheese grater and add it to a unscented batch. 2 parts new soap, 1 part soap shreds.

Thank you for the reply. I made the soap 2 weeks ago. It was a 18 oz recipe. 1/2 oz FO.

Latest posts

Back