Thought I had conquered DOS... it's back! At a loss :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrysoap

Reaction score
Hello lovely soapers,

It's been a while since I've posted and I hope everyone is well. I posted a thread in the beginner's forum about DOS back in May and after a lot of research and encouraging and supportive feedback from the community, I thought I had kicked the problem to the curb. Alas, while adjusting some of my bars on the curing rack today, I noticed a single spot of DOS on some bars that I made on 5/22, after I had made some substantial adjustments to my process to avoid DOS. My heart sank. I am truly at a loss.

My hope with this post is to spell out my recipe and process in detail so that the hive mind might be able to spot something I have missed. My overall soaping skills have increased significantly in recent months and I still have aspirations of selling at local craft fairs one day, but I need to figure out why this continues to be a problem. Apologies ahead of time for the length.

INGREDIENTS:

I order my oils in bulk (OO from Sam's with use-by date at least 1 year out; 92 degree CO, Shea butter, avocado, and castor oil from Bulk Apothecary) and additives (sodium lactate, colorants [primarily micas, TD, activated charcoal] and fragrances [both FOs and EOs]) from Brambleberry. Lye and sodium gluconate are purchased in bulk from WSP. Oils are stored in my basement in the coolest/darkest room in the house. I did purchase ROE to add to my bulk liquid oils but have not done so yet... perhaps this is an area for improvement. I only use distilled water.

SUPPLIES:

I use a large glass mixing beaker from BB to melt oils and #5 plastic containers for mixing the lye solution and pouring smaller batches of batter. After first experiencing DOS, I switched to using silicone spatulas and/or stainless steel utensils only (as I had been using some spatulas and whisks that were of unknown composition and had previously been mixing lye solution in a glass beaker before I realized that was a no no). I only have a handful of silicone molds from BB and love them for ease of release and clean up.

*Side note - I do not have a dishwasher and wash all my equipment by hand. We do have hard water. I purchased a set of dedicated white cotton towels to use during soaping so they don't get accidentally mixed up with kitchen towels and get gunky... prior to mixing anything, I wipe the insides of all my containers thoroughly with clean towels in the hope that it might help decrease any mineral residues from the hard water. Whether that works, who knows.

RECIPE & PROCESS:

After struggling with DOS initially, I decided to switch to a base recipe that was tried and tested so I could hone my skills and eliminate as much variation as possible between batches. I settled on using the "eco-friendly cold process soap recipe" from Lovely Greens (https://lovelygreens.com/eco-friendly-cold-process-soap-recipe-instructions/#recipe) since I prefer plant-based oils and will eventually market the bars as palm-free (I've been having trouble finding responsibly sourced palm at a cost effective price point and have so far chosen to avoid it altogether) and vegan-friendly. I did tweak the recipe a bit and for the last 3 months have been using the following base recipe for a 2# batch:

50% olive oil - 454g
25% coconut oil (92 degree) - 227g
20% Shea butter - 181g
5% castor oil - 45g

Lye - 128g
Distilled water - 192g
This equates to 40% lye solution. I live in a humid climate and was hoping to decrease the amount of water that would need to evaporate during cure.

Superfat - 3% (decreased from 5% with the hope of decreasing risk of DOS)
Total batch weight - 1227g

Sodium gluconate - added at 0.5% total batch weight, or 6g to the above recipe. I add this to the distilled water and microwave x 10s to help dissolve it completely before adding lye.
Sodium lactate - added at 1 tsp PPO to cooled lye solution.

I chose to go with SG instead of other chelators like EDTA after reading Deanna's posts on Classic Belles. There are a variety of reasons I prefer SG that I won't get into here. I suppose I could always try switching to EDTA if this continues to be a problem.

The above recipe is what I've been using as a base for nearly all of my bars over the last 3 months while I've been practicing. I occasionally tweak things to add avocado oil or decrease the lye concentration to facilitate more intricate swirls, but overall the base recipe consistently behaves well and I feel like I know exactly what to expect with it. The finished bars are firm (which I like), feel great on my skin, and last longer than some of the other recipes I'd used in the past.

For the batch I made on 5/22 that I just noticed spots on today, I used the recipe as detailed above. I used sage green mica from Brambleberry for color (added 1.5 tsp directly to melted oils and blended as this was a solid-colored bar) and 1 oz of rejuvenating eucalyptus FO (also from Brambleberry) for a light scent based on the fragrance calculator. I soaped at about 120-125 degrees, added batter to a silicone log mold, then CPOP'd (preheated to 170 degrees, turned oven off but kept light on) for 3 hours and left the mold in the oven overnight. I unmolded and cut the bars the next day. I measure with a plastic tape measure and use a clean kitchen knife to cut the bars by hand.

STORAGE:

Curing bars are kept on a curing rack in my basement. I use #5 plastic cafeteria trays so the bars do not come in contact with any metal. We do live in a humid climate, so I have a dehumidifier running next to the rack at all times and also hang a bag of DampRid on the rack as back up. I rotate the bars about once a week for the first 1-2 weeks (or whenever I can). I wear gloves when handling the bars. We do keep the house fairly warm but I would guess that ambient temperature downstairs is probably no more than 75 degrees, even in the hottest parts of the summer.

I do not currently have a cover over my curing rack. I do have a dog and 3 cats in the home, so there is the potential for animal hair and dust to land on the bars while they are curing.

The bars I noticed spots on today are nearly 3 months old (made 5/22). Out of 10 bars, I only see one small spot on two of the bars and they are on one of the cut surfaces, not the edges.

QUESTION:

1. Are there any glaringly obvious mistakes or areas for improvement based on what I described above? Aside from adding the ROE to liquid oils and/or switching to EDTA, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions to improve my process?

I realize that there are LOTS of experienced soapers who have never experienced DOS (even many who don't use a chelator or ROE) and this truly blows my mind. I do my best to be meticulously clean, use fresh ingredients and equipment made of appropriate materials, added the chelator, and store and handle the bars with care. I have tried to examine each step of my process to hunt for things that could be causing DOS, but I simply don't know what I am doing wrong.

I have attached photos of the two eucalyptus bars that developed DOS in addition to my notes for that batch. There are also two plain, unscented bars I made from the same recipe that also developed DOS.

Because I want to end on a positive note after writing this discouraging post, I have also included pictures of some of the bars I've made over the last few months. My skills are definitely getting better, just have to figure this dang DOS out once and for all!

1000002733.jpg
1000002739.jpg
1000002720.jpg
1000002722.jpg
1000002445.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240819_131358570.jpg
    PXL_20240819_131358570.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240819_131435634.jpg
    PXL_20240819_131435634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240819_131432705.jpg
    PXL_20240819_131432705.jpg
  • PXL_20240819_131448613.jpg
    PXL_20240819_131448613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240819_131504744.jpg
    PXL_20240819_131504744.jpg
I am neither an experienced soaper, nor have I ever had DOS, but I wanted to tell you how much I love your soaps! They're beautiful!!!

I'm sure someone who knows more can help you figure it out. It sounds to me like you've covered all your bases. Good luck!

Same here. Beautiful soaps.

As for your problem, I won't be of much help. You sound like you make everything right and take many precautions, more than I do and I'm lucky enough to have never encountered DOS yet, even with very high % of canola oil. I'm not bragging as I don't feel safe from it and don't think I comprehend what it is really except for "it is saponified oils turned rancid".

I will still share my only lead (be warned, it is a small lead), while the more experienced are coming.
I was infusing oils long before I started making soap, as I like them in my skincare or as massage oils. The only time one of my oils turned rancid was in a bottle where there were a couple drops of water. Probably from improperly dried plants or myself introducing it without noticing. I believe prolonged contact with water is very bad for oil preservation, especially for infused oils but not only. So my question is : do you, by any chance, transferred your bulk oils in smaller hand washed containers that could have not been fully dried before you poured oil in?

Last edited:
I am neither an experienced soaper, nor have I ever had DOS, but I wanted to tell you how much I love your soaps! They're beautiful!!!

I'm sure someone who knows more can help you figure it out. It sounds to me like you've covered all your bases. Good luck!
Thank you for the kind words! ❤️

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful question. I keep all of my bulk liquid oils in their original containers. It's a bit more of a pain to measure out small amounts, but I worry about spilling them during a transfer and feel like their original containers probably have better seals than anything I could transfer them into.

So alas, I don't think there's any residual water in the oil containers. That said, I was worried about maybe having some residue from the tap water I wash my equipment with... I clean up immediately after making a batch (including running the stick blender in soapy water to really clean the blade) and dry with my dedicated soap towels, but we do have hard water. And I sometimes go right into making another batch, so maybe I didn't dry thoroughly enough and there was a water droplet somewhere in my mold?

I only have a handful of molds and one larger 8 cup glass mixing bowl, so I'm always doing small batches one at a time.

I just popped a new batch in the oven to CPOP. Pumpkin spice FO from Brambleberry with a feather swirl... the FO accelerates and discolors, which I used to play into my design. Fingers crossed!

First off to answer you question I would suggest upping the SG to 1% total batch weight.
Now for the not-asked question and just a suggestion from a long-time seller in multiple weekly markets. I would certainly lower the CO to 17-20%, 17% max was my normal max. My Dragon's Blood soaps were usually 19% because they were mostly purchased by/for men and they tend to like a little more cleansing. I would make up the difference with palm, lard, soy wax, or tallow. Tallow does add cleansing so again watch the cleaning factor. Frankly using lard or tallow will help you cut the Shea and bring down your cost per bar which is critical when selling, especially at the cost of producing soaps today, and give you an even nicer bar of soap.

Well, I deleted the rest I was going to post because I know no one today likes hear opinions. But I will say I would not sell those bars at market, make a less cleansing bar if you want to be successful at selling.

@cmzaha, thank you for your reply. With all due respect, I was hoping more for input on the overall process as it relates to development of DOS rather than the particulars of that recipe formulation, but I very much appreciate hearing different perspectives, so thank you!

I would be curious to know what it was you deleted - I posted my question because I wanted to hear opinions from those with more experience. I am open to constructive feedback!

Since I have time while I'm waiting for my lye solution to cool for my next batch, I figure I might as well address the recipe. As I mentioned, I borrowed the base recipe from Lovely Greens and tweaked the lye % and superfat. I was looking for something that was palm-free and vegan-friendly with decent staying power, so it fit the bill. I personally am not against using animal products or palm for that matter, but I am trying to source my ingredients locally and responsibly as much as possible (which admittedly is impossible with ingredients that grow in other countries). While I'm not a vegan, I would prefer to use lard from local pasture-raised animals if I was going to use it (for a laundry list of reasons, but that's another can of worms), and it's simply not available near me. As for palm oil, I've educated myself about the pros and cons and would consider using responsibly sourced palm, but I haven't used it in any of my bars yet and feel like I'm satisfied with the products I've made without it. A large portion of my potential customers are either outright vegan or very environmentally minded, so I'll likely be sticking to a plant-based recipe even if it may be cheaper to do otherwise.

Interestingly, I've made a 100% coconut oil bar with a 25% superfat and love it! It is very cleansing, for sure, but the high superfat seems to counteract the cleansing well. That bar had no additives at all (no color or fragrance, no sodium lactate or gluconate) and so far, no DOS.

Of the bars I've given away to family and friends, the lowest %CO I've used was 20%. So far, feedback has been very encouraging and everyone seems to like the feel. I'm sure I will continue to experiment and find different recipes I like better in the future but for now, I'm trying to keep variables to a minimum so I can hopefully track down the source of the DOS.

Thanks again for your time and input. Feel free to share whatever it was you were going to if you think it would be helpful!

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful question. I keep all of my bulk liquid oils in their original containers. It's a bit more of a pain to measure out small amounts, but I worry about spilling them during a transfer and feel like their original containers probably have better seals than anything I could transfer them into.

So alas, I don't think there's any residual water in the oil containers. That said, I was worried about maybe having some residue from the tap water I wash my equipment with... I clean up immediately after making a batch (including running the stick blender in soapy water to really clean the blade) and dry with my dedicated soap towels, but we do have hard water. And I sometimes go right into making another batch, so maybe I didn't dry thoroughly enough and there was a water droplet somewhere in my mold?

I only have a handful of molds and one larger 8 cup glass mixing bowl, so I'm always doing small batches one at a time.

I just popped a new batch in the oven to CPOP. Pumpkin spice FO from Brambleberry with a feather swirl... the FO accelerates and discolors, which I used to play into my design. Fingers crossed!
Crossing fingers for you.

If it ends up being your water residue from washing, I will be amazed by how something so unsignificant to me can have such consequences.

Hi @merrysoap - I am so sorry you are experiencing this, I would be frustrated, too.
First of all, your soaps are soooo pretty! Very nice work there! Oh the purples and peach in that Taiwan Swirl in the mold is lovely, and I bet @VikingChick digs that purple & gold slanted line!
I don’t have wildly new ideas to suggest, your process sounds very good to me, but here’s a few thoughts, since you’ve got to have something to do differently. I wonder if adding some parchment paper on top of your cafeteria tray could minimize some contamination on the trays? Could you hang a sheet on the top and front of your rack to help stop any animal hair or other contamination from landing on or near your curing bars? Have you tried spraying all your soapy supplies down with alcohol before you start soaping, especially the molds since you said you have hard water? I am really reaching for ideas here to offer something to try. 🌸
I also wanted to ask if the spots smell funky, just to be sure it really is DOS you’ve got there.
Hopefully others will chime in, too…..

You bought ROE but aren't using it? Why?

Most containers of my bulk oils were already approaching empty when the ROE arrived. Since I haven't used it yet, I wasn't confident adding it to the already opened bottles. Once I order new oils, I'll add the ROE upon opening so I know exactly how much I need.

I'm planning on doing between 0.05% ROE per pound of oil (per Classic Bells) to 0.1% (per Kevin Dunn).

Most containers of my bulk oils were already approaching empty when the ROE arrived. Since I haven't used it yet, I wasn't confident adding it to the already opened bottles. Once I order new oils, I'll add the ROE upon opening so I know exactly how much I need.

I'm planning on doing between 0.05% ROE per pound of oil (per Classic Bells) to 0.1% (per Kevin Dunn).
You can add it to the open containers now, too. It's better than waiting. Make yourself a cheat sheet, "add this many grams to this much oils.." (liter, gallon, pound, whatever size). Or if your stock on hand still includes the oils that DOSsed... dump them.

You can add it to the open containers now, too. It's better than waiting. Make yourself a cheat sheet, "add this many grams to this much oils.." (liter, gallon, pound, whatever size). Or if your stock on hand still includes the oils that DOSsed... dump them.

I suppose I could weigh an empty container (if I can find one) to get a better idea of the weight of the oil that's left... I don't have a lot of options for containers to pour the remaining oils into. Didn't want to be inexact and then cause myself more issues.

@justsomeguy - potentially stupid question, but what is RO filtered water?

@dmcgee5034 - the spots I just noticed today on the 3 month old bars do not have the typical "old crayons" smell of DOS. I'm not sure if that's because they're so small that the FO is still overpowering it?

Another question I maybe should've asked earlier - could these orange spots be something other than DOS? The first time I had this issue accidentally using old oils, it started the same way - small 1-2mm orange spots that were barely noticable and then progressed to larger orange spots that had the typical crayon smell. I'll keep an eye on these bars and see if the same thing happens.

@merrysoap , I'm also a reasonably new soaper. I haven't yet experienced DOS (that I am aware of) and don't have any words of wisdom to add. But, your soaps are beautiful and I'm SUPER impressed by how systematically you have gone through your procedures to try to identify the culprit. The public will be lucky when your soaps finally go on the market for sale !!!

I suppose I could weigh an empty container (if I can find one) to get a better idea of the weight of the oil that's left... I don't have a lot of options for containers to pour the remaining oils into. Didn't want to be inexact and then cause myself more issues.

@justsomeguy - potentially stupid question, but what is RO filtered water?

@dmcgee5034 - the spots I just noticed today on the 3 month old bars do not have the typical "old crayons" smell of DOS. I'm not sure if that's because they're so small that the FO is still overpowering it?

Another question I maybe should've asked earlier - could these orange spots be something other than DOS? The first time I had this issue accidentally using old oils, it started the same way - small 1-2mm orange spots that were barely noticable and then progressed to larger orange spots that had the typical crayon smell. I'll keep an eye on these bars and see if the same thing happens.
Reverse osmosis filtered water. Almost as pure as distilled water.

I am an experienced soaper and sell a lot at our local farmers market. After doing this for 10 years I am CONVINCED that the few times I have gotten dos it is from the fragrance oil. When all things stay the same for all my batches and the only variable is the fo it's the only thing that makes sense. Some bars got the awful "box of crayons" smell and some did not - just an orange spot. I think some suppliers may be changing their formulas due to supply shortages and cost. I feel like since covid some of my fo's aren't quite the same. I have heard others say that lavender fo's are the worst and I agree. I had dos 2 years in a row with BB lavender fo and I had reordered a new bottle.
So don't know if there's a "common denominator" ingredient among some of these fo's that's problematic we can't know since formulas are proprietary.

@justsomeguy is RO filtered water something your purchase? If so, where? I think my in-laws have a built-in RO filter in their home but we do not.

@LakeWater yes, I've definitely heard that about FOs too! Unfortunately in my case, I made a few batches of "pure & simple" bars with ZERO additives - no fragrances, no colors, no SL or SG... just OO/CO/SB/castor, distilled water and lye and still, a few bars got a single spot (that doesn't smell like crayons, at least not yet).

1000002737.jpg

For @LakeWater and others who sell at craft fairs and farmer's markets, do you ever get DOS on bars that have been out in the heat and sun at market a few times?

Many people have said heat and humidity can cause DOS on just about any bar, which makes me wonder how people who sell outside during the summer in our hot and humid climate avoid that problem...

Back