This May Be a Stupid Question, but....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyH

Reaction score
since Crisco changed the ingredients for their "all vegetable shortening", why don't soapers use it more to make soaps? The ingredients are:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Since the Crisco has the palm oil in it, it seems like it would be a cheaper alternative to purchasing Palm Oil online and having it shipped.

Is this a stupid question LOL

I don't think it's a stupid question. I don't know why others don't use it but I've used it in several batches. These batches are the ones that everyone preferred over the ones which were oo, co, po and castor. Some of the comments were that the soap felt better and they preferred the lather.

The votes are in and I'll keep using Crisco. There's a facial soap I made in which I didn't use Crisco but next time I make it I might try it with Crisco to see how it turns out. Since I only make 20 oz of this batch, it's no big deal if no one likes it as well.

Edit: I just remembered that someone mentioned DOS when using Crisco. I haven't had any problems but I keep the Crisco in the frig and also soap doesn't last long around here.

I think it's because of the soybean content in it. Soybean tends to cause DOS depending on how much you use. Like Hazel, I've also read of soapers complaining of DOS with Crisco.

IrishLass :)

it's not a stupid question, but since you don't know the proportion of the oils it's a bit hard to formulate with it = tho I use it so it clearly CAN be done!

I have not had a DOS problem using crisco as high as 15% - over that is iffy.

I've been using the soap calculator at WSP and they list the new Crisco w/palm oil as one of the oils for the calculator. So, I'm trusting that they know the percentage of soybean and palm oils for the saponification.

Thanks for the info about DOS and canola and soybean oil! I really appreciate that and I will make sure that I don't go over 10-15% of these oils in my formulations just to play it safe :)

Actually he doesn't know, but made an educated guess and erred on the side of caution.

(I've had some email exchanges with the soapcalc dude....)

Well I guess they could call the crisco company and ask the sap number. sometimes they will give out this information without divulging their proprietory recipe. You would think they would be happy to divulge that at least because then more people would be inclined to buy their product.

JudyH said:
since Crisco changed the ingredients for their "all vegetable shortening", why don't soapers use it more to make soaps? The ingredients are:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Since the Crisco has the palm oil in it, it seems like it would be a cheaper alternative to purchasing Palm Oil online and having it shipped.

Is this a stupid question LOL

i LOVE the new crisco, use it a lot, and haven't had any problems with dos (except a couple of my earliest batches, and that was due to multiple mistakes).

but i've heard from a number of women who don't like using soy products due to published research on endocrine-disrupting properties. so for the health food/natural products stores who carry my soaps, i'm going with palm instead of crisco starting with my next batches...

i'm also finding that even with shipping, ordering palm online is the cheapest option. but then i haven't tried costco or sam's club or any other biggest-box stores to see if i can get gimongous quantities of the new crisco.

and not a stupid question at all, it's a good one!

Dreaded Orange Spots. Happens when soap goes rancid. Some oils are more prone to DOS than others, as they go rancid sooner in soap. Soybean and Canola seem to be at the top of the list, but there are more.

I love 100% crisco soap. I don't sell it, but I use it all the time to test fragrances.

Latest posts

Back