Tallow Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christa10

Reaction score
I know you all are going to laugh at this, and it's perfectly ok with me, as long as I learn something! I have read all the accolades about using tallow for various products and, since I live in California, I never thought I would get a request, because most people here don't want a tallow product. I finally got a request to make a whipped tallow body butter. I made one I really like, but here's the question - do you think a whipped body butter made from tallow would attract more mosquitos because it's made from beef fat? I wondered whether the smell of beef fat would allure the mosquitos more than usual. Thoughts? Laughing out loud is acceptable!

I don't think fat attracts mosquitoes - unless it's my fat. I believe mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide we exhale. I would be more concerned about it attracting flies than mosquitoes, but I haven't noticed it even doing that. It's not mosquito season in my part of the world, but the flies are bad right now. I use tallow balm and the flies don't bother me any more than anyone else.

Honestly I get bitten more by mosquitoes when I eat carbs. When we are eating keto or carnivore, which is high fat with lots of meat, and no carbs/sugar, it’s the only time I don’t get bitten.

I realize that’s not the same thing as smearing the fat on the outside of my skin, but I think there are some parallels.

I don't think fat attracts mosquitoes - unless it's my fat. I believe mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide we exhale. I would be more concerned about it attracting flies than mosquitoes, but I haven't noticed it even doing that. It's not mosquito season in my part of the world, but the flies are bad right now. I use tallow balm and the flies don't bother me any more than anyone else.
We never used to have mosquitos in Southern California, but for the last several years we have had some. I like to sit outside on my deck in the early evening and read and wondered whether I should use the tallow body butter or not, but I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Honestly I get bitten more by mosquitoes when I eat carbs. When we are eating keto or carnivore, which is high fat with lots of meat, and no carbs/sugar, it’s the only time I don’t get bitten.

I realize that’s not the same thing as smearing the fat on the outside of my skin, but I think there are some parallels.
Interesting about the high fat/meat. I read that mosquitos like type O blood the best, which is what I have, and it's true for me. I'm going to "smear some fat" and see what happens! Thanks.

We've had quite a few mosquitos around here and I use a tallow balm. I've not had any more bites than usual.
Good to know. Thanks. I also made some tallow soap, as a request from the same person who wanted the body butter, and I'm interested in trying that out when it's cured. It's a very pretty color.

Well, isn't that interesting! I have prediabetes and am therefore very careful to limit the amount and type of carbs I eat, focusing more on proteins and fats. I haven't noticed a difference in the attention mosquitoes shower upon me. I also have O+ blood. Thankfully, here in the rocky mountains, we have a short mosquito season due to our dry climate. I grew up in the Midwest though, where mosquitoes were so thick and huge they were said to carry off toddlers. Sitting outside in the evenings is impossible there.

Well, isn't that interesting! I have prediabetes and am therefore very careful to limit the amount and type of carbs I eat, focusing more on proteins and fats. I haven't noticed a difference in the attention mosquitoes shower upon me. I also have O+ blood. Thankfully, here in the rocky mountains, we have a short mosquito season due to our dry climate. I grew up in the Midwest though, where mosquitoes were so thick and huge they were said to carry off toddlers. Sitting outside in the evenings is impossible there.
I grew up on the East Coast and remember the ferocious mosquitos there, especially by the coasts and the pine barrens. Where I live now, they usually aren't too bad due to drier air.

As for diet, I only notice a difference when I'm strict keto (less than 50g carbs per day) or actually carnivore.

I'm looking forward to trying it after it cures. I didn't use any lard, but I keep hearing about that too.
I have made some tallow soap which is really nice. Lard soap is really lovely, a friend recently told me that after using my soap (since January) she is finally comfortable in her skin. She has always had itchy, uncomfortable skin. The only thing she changed was soap. I can’t say she would or wouldn’t have the same result with another base oil. I highly recommend both.

I have made some tallow soap which is really nice. Lard soap is really lovely, a friend recently told me that after using my soap (since January) she is finally comfortable in her skin. She has always had itchy, uncomfortable skin. The only thing she changed was soap. I can’t say she would or wouldn’t have the same result with another base oil. I highly recommend both.

Do you mean 100% tallow or lard soap? Thanks

Do you mean 100% tallow or lard soap? Thanks
I believe my recipes came from @AliOop.
I have two I use:
75% lard or tallow
20% coconut
5% castor

Or
55% lard or tallow
20% olive oil
20% coconut
5% castor

I always use aloe vera juice instead of water and add 2% sugar and salt ppo.
Both are really nice, I get a slower trace when adding olive oil so I use that for my more complicated designs.
Hope this helps!

I believe my recipes came from @AliOop.
I have two I use:
75% lard or tallow
20% coconut
5% castor

Or
55% lard or tallow
20% olive oil
20% coconut
5% castor

I always use aloe vera juice instead of water and add 2% sugar and salt ppo.
Both are really nice, I get a slower trace when adding olive oil so I use that for my more complicated designs.
Hope this helps!
I also always use aloe vera juice and add sorbitol, but I have never added salt at the same time. What benefit does the salt provide? I have read a lot on the forum about salt bars, and have been cueious, but haven't made any. I think salt bars are much higher in salt than 2% though?

I also always use aloe vera juice and add sorbitol, but I have never added salt at the same time. What benefit does the salt provide? I have read a lot on the forum about salt bars, and have been cueious, but haven't made any. I think salt bars are much higher in salt than 2% though?
2% just adds a bit of hardness, similar to adding sodium lactate.
I also make salt bars, which I love, I use the recipe shared by @Obsidian which is 35% salt. Salt bars are best with a really long cure time, I like a year, and they are great for getting rid of sweat smell. I’m sure there is a scientific reason for this but I’m not sure what it is. I have previously made brine bars but prefer the salt bars. YMMV though so it’s worth experimenting to see what you like.

2% just adds a bit of hardness, similar to adding sodium lactate.
I also make salt bars, which I love, I use the recipe shared by @Obsidian which is 35% salt. Salt bars are best with a really long cure time, I like a year, and they are great for getting rid of sweat smell. I’m sure there is a scientific reason for this but I’m not sure what it is. I have previously made brine bars but prefer the salt bars. YMMV though so it’s worth experimenting to see what you like.
Thanks. I'll give 2% salt a try.

Latest posts

Back