Sunflower oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like regular sunflower oil to me, a.k.a. low oleic. Check the attached photo with the label for reference.

All types of sunflower can be used in soap, BUT they will produce different results. If you use this one (especially at high %) your soap will have higher chance to develop DOS. Some soapers like using it because it's cheaper, but they usually add antioxidants and chelators to keep rancidity at bay. Without them, you'll probably be disappointed.

High oleic sunflower on the other hand works similar to olive oil - and you can go higher % with it not worrying it will go rancid that easily. So if you want to make soap without additives, you better use high oleic if you can find it. If you like how castile soap feels, you can even make it with 100% high oleic sunflower and it will be somewhat similar. I always recommend high oleic over the regular, but the catch is it's more expensive (cheaper than olive though).

Just a little explanation on the label - higher polyunsaturated fat content means it has more linoleic/linolenic (it shows it's low in mono-, so it's regular sunflower). If the monounsaturated fat is higher (than 65-70 or so % of the overall fat content, for example), it would be high oleic. There are of course also varieties with oleic content closer to medium (not that low and not that high either), and using them would be usually a little better than regular sunflower, but I think they are harder to find. HTH
1000034731.jpg

Latest posts

Back