Suggestions for better fine lines in marble soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first pic is the inspiration. The second and third are the result of my attempt. This is a lard soap. I tilted the mold and poured as if I was doing an ombre and poured a little then added somewhat and used my sprayer of either gold or brown mica. I like the results but wanted more definition. Maybe don't spray by actually mix mica and batter and make one(?) pass with it?
I was also trying to get it clearer (translucent). I've included the recipe.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 11.54.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 11.54.50 AM.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0
Mix the mica with oil and add it into the mold instead of spraying it dry. I think Tree Marie and I Dream in Soap both have really nice YT videos on the process. I've done it this way also and gotten some good results - not as good as theirs, but people were still impressed, lol.

The soap is too small for me to make out the pattern in your photos. I’m not sure how Tatiana made her soap, but you can get that effect by sifting mica over uneven layers of soap and then cutting the soap on the horizontal plane rather than the vertical plane. Let me see if I can find a YT.

Here’s a YT by Tellervo. She could have added more irregular layers. The second cut is on the same plane as the layer.

Here’s a YT by Tree Marie. She’s making the soap in a slab mold, but using the same general approach of creating irregular layers that are then cut on the horizontal plane of the soap, which is the same plane as the layers.

Here’s a YT by Tellervo. She could have added more irregular layers. The second cut is on the same plane as the layer.

Here’s a YT by Tree Marie. She’s making the soap in a slab mold, but using the same general approach of creating irregular layers that are then cut on the horizontal plane of the soap, which is the same plane as the layers.
Thanks! I’ve seen Tree Marie’s but not Telleevo’s. Looks like I need to do some math and split my batter.
Do you think Tatianna’s soap is 100% coconut? It’s so translucent 🤔

@ewhitake - I checked in on Tatiana's IG and I believe she is selling a tutorial for that particular soap, including the recipe. I highly doubt that it's a 100% coconut soap.

Gelling is one way to add translucency. You will also want to avoid TD or any other colorants in the uncolored base. Also stay away from adding any table salt (and possibly sodium lactate?) because salt makes soap more opaque.

@ewhitake - I checked in on Tatiana's IG and I believe she is selling a tutorial for that particular soap, including the recipe. I highly doubt that it's a 100% coconut soap.

Gelling is one way to add translucency. You will also want to avoid TD or any other colorants in the uncolored base. Also stay away from adding any table salt (and possibly sodium lactate?) because salt makes soap more opaque.
Thanks for this - Tatiana's IG was the inspiration and of course I tried to replicate it. Guess I'll have to sign up for the class. And thanks for the tip about table salt and sodium lactate. Didn't know that.

Oh!! My racks are cover in some kind of “plastic” covering 😏
The high alkalinity of fresh soap can and will easily degrade that coating, if not immediately, then definitely over time. The same with the stainless coating that is on most “stainless” racks.

Your best best is to put down some freezer paper, shelf liner, or flexible plastic cutting boards. I prefer the last two as they hold up better to washing and reuse. 😊

Back