Sugar scrubs gluey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided to jump on the sugar scrub train, so today I experimented with the soap shred method spelled out so nicely in @AliOop’s thread. I think I should have added more sugar, and maybe less stearic, mine came out super thick and gluey. My basic recipe:
Soap shred25%
Water13%
Glycerin13%
Stearic6%
Sugar43%
After I made it I re-read the thread and see that I probably haven’t added enough sugar - I had seen to add 50-100% of the weight of the base in sugar, but others say to use 1.5 x the base. I’ll try fiddling with what I have to see if I can get it to work. I’m not familiar with what sugar scrubs should feel like. 🤷🏻‍♀️

HI @Vicki C - I have had a few gluey batches myself. I don't have my notes handy (everything is still packed up for the remodel), but my best recollection is that I added more liquid oil and more sugar, and that helped.

EDIT: I was also planning to try adding a bit of CapB to see how that affected the final texture and foaminess, as I've read others who tried that and liked it.

Last edited:
Back