Stupid mistakes and bone headed thinking.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like some of y'all I was stylin' from head to toe in my homemade Hazmat suit the first time I ever made soap, too. It was a huge production- I mixed my lye out in the backyard with hubby, son and mother-in-law (who came over to watch) standing at a safe distance with camera in hand. When I poured the lye solution into my oils I had butterflies in my stomach and felt like someone must feel parachuting out of a plane for the first time or something. :lol:

My biggest soaping failures were with my first and second soaps (glad I got the two biggest soaping disasters one could have out of the way right up front. Whew!). For my first soap I followed a recipe online, which ended up lye heavy (this was before I found SoapCalc). Had to toss it. My second batch was not lye heavy, but I made a stupid, silly weighing mistake when I confused the weight of one oil for another. Anyway, in the end, after I had figured out where I had gone wrong, I found that I was actually in posession of a soap that contained 25% canola which had a 23% superfat. :shock: I know, I know- one of the worst combinations one can have in a soap! It was a three pound batch and I had to throw it all away a couple of months down the road when it came down with the dreaded DOS.

Another batch I had to toss was the infamous kitchen scrubby soap I made about a year ago or so with kiwi seeds. Can you say 'OUCH?'! :shock: It was an absolutely beautiful soap colored to a beautiful shade of pastel yellow with a beautiful lemon geranium scent, but in the end it was nothing but a cruel beauty. Using it was like washing with nails or thumbtacks or something. Washing should not have to be that painful! Nobody wanted to use that soap, and I didn't feel right sending it to Clean The World, so I tossed it.

Another lesson I learned from was the first ever time I masterbatched my lye a couple of years ago. I learned the hard way that it's not good to store lye solution in a PETE #1 container. After about a week or so the plastic started to break down and a small hole appeared near the bottom of the container allowing the solution to slowly leak out. Thankfully, I noticed it before it became anything major. I now store it in HDPE.

IrishLass :)

I remembered another one, I think my biggest oops - making the wedding soaps, I printed up my recipe from soapcalc.

It wasn't until after the soap was half set up did I look at the recipe and notice I had selected fractionated CO instead of regular. Since I used CO, it ended up lye heavy.

I saved it by putting it in the crockpot, adding the correct amount of OO to superfat to 7% and using the handblender to break up all the chunks...turned out fine but if I hadn't noticed that goof... well, I don't think any of the wedding guests would ever have used my soap again LOL

I double check when I'm selecting oils in soap calc now ;)

My biggest dumb moment came just then after reading AmyW's post lol. I have been making up new recipes through soap calc and over the last few weeks have been selecting fractionated coconut oil in my recipes instead of the normal CO. I have RBD CO and for some reason I had in my head lately that it was fractionated - I have NO idea why I've been thinking that DUH!!!! Just lucky I didn't make those recipes up yet and they are still on the to do list (which would have been done any day now!)

And here I was thinking apart from forgetting my FO I hadn't made any real boo boo's LOL

This thread save me from my first ever lye heavy batch lol!

My bonehead moment was knocking over my stick blender and my bowl of just mixed soap all over the counter and mold and having the stick blender actually become submerged in the fresh soap.

After cleaning everything up and crying about just wasting $20 worth of soap ingredients I discover that my blender didn't work anymore so I cried some more.

Miraculously after cleaning it and letting it sit, my blender started working again and it is still the one I use today.

Well, there are quite a few minor little stories to tell. I have ruined all of my butcher block countertops with either raw soap spills and splatters, putting a container that I poured from down and getting a burn ring from the bottom. In the beginning I made a few batches and put them on wax paper to cure, wrong! The moisture (because of course I was using full water at the time) leaked out of the soap, through the paper and burned the counters all over.

My big idiot move though was the first and last time I tried to master batch. Had the correct plastic container. No incident in the making of it. The next day I knocked it off the counter in a crazy cleaning spree. The cap busted, it had to fall on the weakest point ya know. Lye went all over my travertine tile floor and splattered the base of my kitchen table and chairs. The tile was only slightly etched and the table only has a few hundred small round dots of bare wood where the stain was burned through. So lucky that it didn't splash on me and decided I'm too much of a spazz to have lye sitting around.

Mine was not realizing exactly how much oil is needed. I ordered 7oz of palm oil, thinking it would get me far. Used it up in one batch, and the darn thing cost me like $15 with shipping. I learned then that the liquid portion of soap is not nearly as much as I thought it was!

Gelling. I don't see why some batches need it and others do better without it. It never seemed to have anything to do with additives like goat's milk. I once tried to not gell a Dragon's Blood batch that did a strange ring in the middle thing. Like a huge water stain just on the top surface but none of it was gelled as I know gelled soap to look like. Then I took the troulbe to gell it the next time and it was all even but darker than I wanted. I'm just not a big fan of really dark brown soap with the yellow bubbles!

Maythorn said:
Gelling. I don't see why some batches need it and others do better without it. It never seemed to have anything to do with additives like goat's milk. I once tried to not gell a Dragon's Blood batch that did a strange ring in the middle thing. Like a huge water stain just on the top surface but none of it was gelled as I know gelled soap to look like. Then I took the troulbe to gell it the next time and it was all even but darker than I wanted. I'm just not a big fan of really dark brown soap with the yellow bubbles!

The ring in the middle was partial gel. I get it every time I try to prevent gel, even when I put it in the deep freeze immediately after pouring, so I gave up and just try to get a complete gel lol

It has been summer though, maybe it'll be different this winter in a colder climate.

I have been really lucky so far. I am one of those idiot soapmakers who doesn't wear goggles or gloves. :roll: I know, I know, please chew me out. I pour my lye into the water in my sink while bending down really low, LOL.

Anyway, I tried the whipping attachment to my stick blender. I ended up flipping tiny bits of soap over the back splash, oven and one laded on my eye lid!!! Boy did it burn. I tried leaving it there so I could get my soap poured but I had to run and rise it off. You think I would have learned to wear goggles after that!

AmyW said:
Maythorn said:

The ring in the middle was partial gel. I get it every time I try to prevent gel, even when I put it in the deep freeze immediately after pouring, so I gave up and just try to get a complete gel lol

It has been summer though, maybe it'll be different this winter in a colder climate.

Well, if you say so. :) But it didn't resemble other partially gelled soap doozies I've had, which makes for it darker in the gelled area not just ring-stained on the very surface. Wiping at it with a sponge helped a little but not much. At any rate I plan to stay away from that darkening of scents this soaping journey.

Last weekend I had my new stick blender in the small soap batch pre-lye and there I was trying to pour the lye water around it without tipping it all over at the crucial moment. Very nearly did.

AmyW said:
Maythorn said:

I so agree I can't wait for fall/winter here in PNW at least it's prime soapmaking time due to the cold horribly rainy weather we get.

Back