Sole Proprietor vs LLC?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinLizzie

Reaction score
I was researching how to register my business name and I am a little confused as to which one i should choose.

Is your soap-making business LLC or Sole Proprietorship? Would you have liked to have chosen one over the other?

Any input would be great, thanks in advance!!

I love your enthusiasm!!
You might need to make some soap first. :lol:
When I first started soaping I had all the plans in the world of wanting to sell soap. An entire year later with about 150 batches under my belt. I finally think I'm ready..laugh. :lol:
Here's a terrific link written by a wise SMF'er.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17621

nattynoo,

Thanks for the link ;)

I realize that I can't rush into this, but I don't think that my question indicates that I'm rushing into anything. Actually, I'm just trying to be well informed when it finally comes down for me to establish my business. I see no harm in asking questions about this from soapmakers and business owners who have been doing this for a long time. Thanks for the advice and your input though.

Have you checked with your state's Secretary of State's office? In my state (MO) they have a wealth of information, resources, and all necessary forms for starting/registering a business. From my research I determined the LLC would be the best for me IF I decide to take that next step. The fee for setting this up myself with the SOS's office is about $125.00 vs the $4,000.00 a friend of mine paid to do the same thing through an attorney. Good luck whichever you decide to do!

Back