Soap too soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
image.jpg

Wondering why this soap is so soft. I can still insert my fingernail 😢

That's a fairly high amount of castor, but I would have thought that the high amount of cocoa butter would have offset that. The only other thing that looks off (but probably wouldn't make the soap soft) is that the sodium citrate should be dissolved in water, not added to oils.

I also wasn't sure about the highlighted notes that the bottom. Were you using different amounts of water for a ghost swirl?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else will spot something I missed.

I agree the notes are off. You have divided the oils, NaOH and water in 2, and here comes the interesting part. When you add the oils from both sections, you get the total weight of the oils in the recipe. HOWEVER when you combine NaOH¹ with NaOH² and water¹ with water² respectively - their weight is much less than what the recipe calls for. A big part of your lye solution is just missing (or should I say it became a ghost? 👻?). Maybe you used less NaOH than needed and ended up with much higher SF, therefore softer soap?

Here goes the math to back up my theory:

329.34+658.66=988 g oils (that's the same)

34.41+62.3=96.71 g of NaOH out of 131.24 (34.53 g NaOH is missing from the batter, according to your notes)

34.41+124.62=159.03 g water out of 262.47 (103.44 g water is missing)

That makes a huge difference. If your notes are correct, this is the reason for the soft soap

That's a fairly high amount of castor, but I would have thought that the high amount of cocoa butter would have offset that. The only other thing that looks off (but probably wouldn't make the soap soft) is that the sodium citrate should be dissolved in water, not added to oils.

I also wasn't sure about the highlighted notes that the bottom. Were you using different amounts of water for a ghost swirl?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else will spot something I missed.
Yes- was trying for a ghost swirl.

I agree the notes are off. You have divided the oils, NaOH and water in 2, and here comes the interesting part. When you add the oils from both sections, you get the total weight of the oils in the recipe. HOWEVER when you combine NaOH¹ with NaOH² and water¹ with water² respectively - their weight is much less than what the recipe calls for. A big part of your lye solution is just missing (or should I say it became a ghost? 👻?). Maybe you used less NaOH than needed and ended up with much higher SF, therefore softer soap?

Here goes the math to back up my theory:

329.34+658.66=988 g oils (that's the same)

34.41+62.3=96.71 g of NaOH out of 131.24 (34.53 g NaOH is missing from the batter, according to your notes)

34.41+124.62=159.03 g water out of 262.47 (103.44 g water is missing)

That makes a huge difference. If your notes are correct, this is the reason for the soft soap
Makes sense. I was coping another’s ghost swirl recipe and I must have missed a step.
Should I scrap the soap?

Makes sense. I was coping another’s ghost swirl recipe and I must have missed a step.
Should I scrap the soap?
Maybe confetti? The others should be able to say if that idea would work or if there would be a problem because of the extra oil

Latest posts

Back