Soap Stamping Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
This is really 2 questions in one.

My friend got me a small soap stamp as a gift for making her 150 bars of soap for her wedding favors! It's custom and has my logo (my avatar on here) and company name (Summerland Soaps) on it.

As soon as I got it I wanted to start stamping! I followed the directions, but much to my heart break it didn't work. The soap stuck in the tiny spaces in the lettering, when the stamp was removed it pulled a chunk of soap with it.

Did I do something wrong, or is the stamp simply too small? Its 2x2 and the logo and lettering fit within that.

Here is a few pictures to show you...

photostream

photostream

Any suggestions? Should I have her return the stamp and get a new one?

My guess is it's too detailed, after looking at your pictures. The soap stamps I've seen are bigger and they are relatively simple in design compared to yours. It might work better if the whole thing were bigger, or perhaps if you just had a bigger stamp with your logo.

I love the logo, by the way. Did you design it yourself?

You really need to make sure your soap isn't either too soft or to hard I find it hard to describe at what stage to stamp but I generally cut my soap and then stamp the next day. I can only suggest that you play with soap at different stages. Your stamp is beautiful by the way I sure hope you get to use it with much success
The lettering is very small..............dont give up yet just keep stamping at different stages to see if you can get it right :0)

It looks as though you might have stamped too deep. Try stamping a little lighter. You could also try brushing a little gold or silver mice across the stamp to bring out the details. :?

i spray my stamp with a little pam and wipe off the excess. sometimes i have to do this several times for a batch...

alternatively, i use a small paintbrush to paint mineral oil into the small crevices in my stamp...

Funny, I've been shopping for a stamp maker and visited a few websites and blogs yesterday. One stamp manufacturer suggested stamping a different bar every day (or at shorter intervals), until you get the look that you like and then follow that perimeter until you change up your soap recipe a lot. It might be possible that your soap needs to harden a little bit more before stamping.

Also, I guess I'm repeating what an earlier poster said, but the stamp maker did say that it's important to simplify the design, if possible. There may be too many 'tiny' spaces in the stamp. Your logo may need to be simplified in some way for the stamp making. (I love your logo. It would look great on soaps!)

Does anyone have a favorite stamp maker? I'd like to use one, too, and maybe get stamps that says 'shave', 'shampoo'? I found one stamp maker on etsy, but the blog sounded so grouchy it scared me off a bit!

Your logo is pretty -- and it sounds like you have a very nice friendship, too!!

Babette said:
Funny, I've been shopping for a stamp maker and visited a few websites and blogs yesterday. One stamp manufacturer suggested stamping a different bar every day (or at shorter intervals), until you get the look that you like and then follow that perimeter until you change up your soap recipe a lot. It might be possible that your soap needs to harden a little bit more before stamping.

Also, I guess I'm repeating what an earlier poster said, but the stamp maker did say that it's important to simplify the design, if possible. There may be too many 'tiny' spaces in the stamp. Your logo may need to be simplified in some way for the stamp making. (I love your logo. It would look great on soaps!)

Does anyone have a favorite stamp maker? I'd like to use one, too, and maybe get stamps that says 'shave', 'shampoo'? I found one stamp maker on etsy, but the blog sounded so grouchy it scared me off a bit!

Your logo is pretty -- and it sounds like you have a very nice friendship, too!!

I made 150 bars of soap for her as wedding favors for her guests. So she returned the favor!

Babette said:

Oh doubly-funny! I was just looking around for a stamp maker too! I found the one on etsy also but didn't go much further with it because I ran out of research time. I'd love to know who other soapers use too. Hopefully someone will chime in here. :)

Back