Soap Stamp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOS= dreaded orange spots, aka rancidity. It can be caused by oxidized oils, exposure to sunlight, and exposure to metal or other contaminants. Your soap should not be in contact with any metal other than good quality stainless steel.

DOS= dreaded orange spots, aka rancidity. It can be caused by oxidized oils, exposure to sunlight, and exposure to metal or other contaminants. Your soap should not be in contact with any metal other than good quality stainless steel.
Wow, thanks for the forewarning. That info is invaluable. I wonder if my cutter (made out of metal) may oxidize my soaps faster

You can search online for some images to get the idea ‐ there are plenty and it's hard to be mistaken with something else most of the time. Those orange spots can even smell like rancid oil if they get bad enough
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the info

Wow, thanks for the forewarning. That info is invaluable. I wonder if my cutter (made out of metal) may oxidize my soaps faster
I have metal cutters and so far haven't had issues. Maybe the time needed to cut the soap is not enough to affect it, or maybe the steel used for the board/wire is of good quality (which I highly doubt, especially the wire). It's most likely the short time they're in contact

Soap cutters are supposed to be made with stainless steel wires, so that the soap doesn't come in contact with the kinds of metals that can cause DOS. I normally buy replacements for mine at music stores; an unwrapped stainless G string for a guitar is the right gauge and is much less expensive than buying the same thing from a soap supplier.

Latest posts

Back