Soap Recipie critique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherbearthere

Reaction score
Olive oil 10 oz
Coconut Oil 12.5 oz
Castor 8 oz
Shea butter 4oz
Canola .5 oz

11.3 oz Water
5.3 Lye

What do you all think a good recipie????

It should be a nice hard bar. But your high coconut oil is going to make a very cleansing bar of soap. I think that some would consider it drying because of that.

I think you really don't need the castor oil at all.

That recipe is a little high on cleansing (24) for my skin. Personally, I'd switch the amounts of olive & coconut. 22% castor is going to make a very soft soap, so I'd lower that to around 5-10%. Maybe up the canola & shea a little to compensate for lowering the castor. But not too much, because too much canola can cause dos and too much shea can accelerate trace.

Your amount of 5.3 oz for lye is showing me you forgot to enter in a superfat (I entered your recipe into SoapCalc and I come up with a negative 1 superfat for 5.3 oz lye). I would enter in a 5% superfat so that your soap does not come out lye heavy. Your water amount is fine, though. :)

As for the rest of your formula...

That's a lot of castor oil for the type of formula that you have there. SoapCalc shows me 22% worth of castor. That much castor would be fine in a much harder bar with more solid fats, but in your particular formula with 52.86% combined soft oils, you may find that your finished soap feels somewhat on the soft and sticky side. If it were me, I would drop the castor to 10% of your formula or below.

If your skin tends towards the normal to dry type (like mine), you may find your formula to be somewhat drying. At least I know that I would....... unless you compensated with a higher superfat of at least 8 or more. But that's just me. Oilier skin types might be fine with it.

For what it is worth, if I were to re-write the formula to customize it to my own normal-to-dry skin-type, this is what I'd end up trying:

Olive oil 12.6 oz (36%)
Coconut Oil 11.2 oz (32%)
Castor Oil 3.5 oz (10%)
Shea Butter 5.95 oz (17%)
Canola Oil 1.75 oz (5%)

Water: 10.5 oz
Lye: 4.7 oz (8% superfat)

IrishLass :)

I agree with all the above, that much coconut oil would be too drying for me, and that much castor will make a soft sticky bar, but I do love and use both! I would totally dump the canola, but that's just me. I would be more inclined to try something like this

Olive Oil 50%
Coconut Oil 25%
Shea Butter 18%
Castor Oil 7%

BUT, having said all that, a big part of the fun and what we learn most from is experimenting! So give yours a try and see how you like it, then you can make adjustments accordingly :)

Latest posts

Back