Soap Designer, Candle, Melts and Bombs Spreadsheet (Free Tool)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings from Australia,

Ages ago I uploaded an early version of a spreadsheet I use for designing and making soaps. I've continued to refine it and have added other features. Specifically, I've integrated other spreadsheets I use for making Candles, Soy Melts, Bath Bombs and Shower Steamers. Essentially, these give feedback on the costs involved in making a batch of Melts/Bombs/Steamers/Candles. The soap element is by far the more sophisticated of these but the others are useful to me.

I made it available free of charge over on the "Soapmaking Spreadsheet Recipe Tool" thread. It will remain free of charge forever and I wanted to offer it again in its new format. I'm also intending to host the file on my iCloud Drive which should make it easier for me to update it without breaking links to the file on this site. Please bear with me as I experiment with this.

A word on Requirements and security. It requires that you have access to Microsoft Excel and that you are comfortable enabling macros. Microsoft, quite rightly, throws up lots of warnings about enabling macros so it can be scary! None of the files/sheets on this tool are locked so anyone can examine the code to check for nefarious intent. :)

For accuracy the tool requires some setting up on your part. Mostly you need to give it information on what oils/fragrances etc. you use, where you source them and their cost. This allows the spreadsheet to calculate the batch price etc. I've left data in the tool with my costs/prices as examples but it should be simple to replace this with your own data.

The latest version can be found here: LINK

I'll put up another post in the future with some instructions but the INITIAL POST from a while ago should suffice for the moment.

I have no way of knowing if anyone has downloaded or uses this tool but I'd be delighted for some feedback. If you could drop me a line if you find it useful or if you have issues (I have tested this version as thoroughly as I can but... ) I'd be very grateful.

Can I note that there are others with similar intent but using different software (e.g. Google Sheets). If you would like to encourage their efforts they have a thread running over at: Google Sheet Alternative to Craftybase or Soapmaker Pro. I'm sure @SoapyBenjamin would like to hear from you. Google Sheets has the advantage of being completely free so there is no need for an Excel/Office 365 subscription unlike mine.

Happy soaping (and candle-making etc.). 👍

Cheers,

Grant

1724458873626.png

I'm just going to tag anyone who responded in previous threads saying they might try the spreadsheet or who offered advice.

@IanT
@Nicola Bullock
@Lisa Mendez
@jack915
@Veronica Martin
@Jorah
@BWt
@AliOop
@Fireside
@Mobjack Bay
@ScentimentallyYours
@Whillow
@Vicki C
@Iveta Pelá
@Natcha
@Saffron

Thanks for all the help and feedback.

Cheers,

Grant

Here’s what might be a fun project for those amongst us with functioning imaginations; come up with a better name for this tool. “Soap Designer, Candle, Melts and Bombs Spreadsheet Tool” might be descriptive but it’s a bit unwieldy.

Greetings from Australia,

Ages ago I uploaded an early version of a spreadsheet I use for designing and making soaps. I've continued to refine it and have added other features. Specifically, I've integrated other spreadsheets I use for making Candles, Soy Melts, Bath Bombs and Shower Steamers. Essentially, these give feedback on the costs involved in making a batch of Melts/Bombs/Steamers/Candles. The soap element is by far the more sophisticated of these but the others are useful to me.

I made it available free of charge over on the "Soapmaking Spreadsheet Recipe Tool" thread. It will remain free of charge forever and I wanted to offer it again in its new format. I'm also intending to host the file on my iCloud Drive which should make it easier for me to update it without breaking links to the file on this site. Please bear with me as I experiment with this.

A word on Requirements and security. It requires that you have access to Microsoft Excel and that you are comfortable enabling macros. Microsoft, quite rightly, throws up lots of warnings about enabling macros so it can be scary! None of the files/sheets on this tool are locked so anyone can examine the code to check for nefarious intent. :)

For accuracy the tool requires some setting up on your part. Mostly you need to give it information on what oils/fragrances etc. you use, where you source them and their cost. This allows the spreadsheet to calculate the batch price etc. I've left data in the tool with my costs/prices as examples but it should be simple to replace this with your own data.

The latest version can be found here: LINK

I'll put up another post in the future with some instructions but the INITIAL POST from a while ago should suffice for the moment.

I have no way of knowing if anyone has downloaded or uses this tool but I'd be delighted for some feedback. If you could drop me a line if you find it useful or if you have issues (I have tested this version as thoroughly as I can but... ) I'd be very grateful.

Can I note that there are others with similar intent but using different software (e.g. Google Sheets). If you would like to encourage their efforts they have a thread running over at: Google Sheet Alternative to Craftybase or Soapmaker Pro. I'm sure @SoapyBenjamin would like to hear from you. Google Sheets has the advantage of being completely free so there is no need for an Excel/Office 365 subscription unlike mine.

Happy soaping (and candle-making etc.). 👍

Cheers,

Grant

View attachment 78690

I'm just going to tag anyone who responded in previous threads saying they might try the spreadsheet or who offered advice.

@IanT
@Nicola Bullock
@Lisa Mendez
@jack915
@Veronica Martin
@Jorah
@BWt
@AliOop
@Fireside
@Mobjack Bay
@ScentimentallyYours
@Whillow
@Vicki C
@Iveta Pelá
@Natcha
@Saffron

Thanks for all the help and feedback.

Cheers,

Grant
I just downloaded it!!!!!

I haven't tried sharing this file this way before (through iCloud) so I'm not certain how it works for Windows users. Hopefully it will be plain sailing but I'd be grateful for feedback if anyone has trouble. I have some other options (Dropbox, OneDrive or even Google Drive) if iCloud isn't working.

You might think it should be easy to check this for myself but it's not as simple as you'd imagine. Because I'm logged into iCloud it works for me seamlessly. Logging out is more of an issue than it should be, and wouldn't answer the question of how it works for Windows users.

I've sent the link to my daughter to check but it'll take her a while to get around to it.

Hi Folks, I've not received any feedback on whether sharing this with iCloud is an effective way to do things. So, I'll share it again/also with Dropbox and perhaps that will be better? Let me know if either is better for you.

Dropbox LINK

Cheers, Grant

Back