So hello finally…

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.68 of lye
4.68 of water
4.68 of aloe
Yes
It doesn't matter that there was a null value in the water-as-percent-of-oils box, because your water:lye ratio, aka lye concentration, was just fine as shown in the other boxes.

Still, it doesn't sound like you used master-batched lye then, because that would be one number:

9.36 oz, consisting of half NaOH and half water.

When you keep listing the lye and water as separate numbers, rather than the combined measurement that represents master-batched lye, that makes it hard for us to understand exactly what you did.

The reason I'm pressing is that the symptoms you describe sound like you didn't use enough lye. So, can you be specific about whether you either:

1. weighed out 9.36 oz of a 50-50 masterbatched lye solution (and then added 4.68 oz of AVJ)
OR

2. weighed all the ingredients separately as you listed them?

As long as you did one of the above, your lye amount should have been correct. In that case, it sounds like you didn't blend long enough to reach a stable emulsion, and the batter separated. By removing some of the separated oil, you may have created a lye-heavy soap. Next time you will want to stick-blend it back together. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't matter that there was a null value in the water-as-percent-of-oils box, because your water:lye ratio, aka lye concentration, was just fine as shown in the other boxes.

Still, it doesn't sound like you used master-batched lye then, because that would be one number:

9.36 oz, consisting of half NaOH and half water.

When you keep listing the lye and water as separate numbers, rather than the combined measurement that represents master-batched lye, that makes it hard for us to understand exactly what you did.

The reason I'm pressing is that the symptoms you describe sound like you didn't use enough lye. So, can you be specific about whether you either:

1. weighed out 9.36 oz of a 50-50 masterbatched lye solution (and then added 4.68 oz of AVJ)
OR

2. weighed all the ingredients separately as you listed them?

As long as you did one of the above, your lye amount should have been correct. In that case, it sounds like you didn't blend long enough to reach a stable emulsion, and the batter separated. By removing some of the separated oil, you may have created a lye-heavy soap. Next time you will want to stick-blend it back together. :)

I think you are correct. I only weighted out 4.68 of the 50/50 not the 9.36. :rolleyes: It didn't click cause that number was missing, not a mistake I will be making twice. So not enough lye. ****! Everything else was weighed out perfectly. Other than I lessened the EO but never wrote it down.
The batter seemed perfect.

So where is this gonna leave me?
And thank you for spelling it out for me, totally missed it.

I think you are correct. I only weighted out 4.68 of the 50/50 not the 9.36. :rolleyes: It didn't click cause that number was missing, not a mistake I will be making twice. So not enough lye. ****! Everything else was weighed out perfectly. Other than I lessened the EO but never wrote it down.

No worries, it is an easy mistake to make when you first start using master-batched lye solution. Ask me how I know.... ;)

Well, you essentially only have 50% of the lye required, but you also removed some oil, so that makes it a little tricky. Can you estimate how many ounces of oil were removed?

If this batch is still soft, you could put it in a crock pot (or a stainless pot on the stove) and get it nice and melty. Then add another 4.68 oz of master-batched lye solution, as well as the approximate amount of oils that you removed when it separated. Then stick blend it or stir it up very well, and plop it all into the mold. It's probably going to be "rustic" looking, but it should still be soap when you are done.

If you really used less lye than needed, but after that removed some of the oils that separated, maybe it balanced out a little bit (yes, you didn't remove that much of the oils, but still, let's hope for the best). Maybe you'll end up with a soft soap with high SF, which is better than lye heavy soap and it will eventually get hard enough, after a long cure (as long as the extra oils don't go rancid). The positive thing here is that the soap got solid in the mold, so it may be fine. We are waiting for the update and how it turns out. But also be careful with those swirls - it's possible that wanting to keep it liquid you didn't blend enough, which may have added to the issue

Ok just got home and here is where we are at. I am not sure how much I suctioned out. I didn’t keep it

Hum. Let me try to attach the video again

Attachments

• 74605820251__8162419C-AC27-419E-8E73-5EF022BE80EC.MOV
    1.3 MB
Looks like when I made pure castile soap. I had to let it sit in the mold for a week before it was hard enough to take it out. Even then it was still squishy for about a month.

Are you able to get it out and cut it, or is it too soft for that?
Yop slide right out no problem. And no zap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Try it within 6 months or so, it may not be that bad... I'm curious how the inside looks

Since it hardened enough to come out of the mold as a solid, and doesn't zap, then @bookworm42 is right. It is a high superfat soap, but still soap. Hooray, what a relief!

EDIT: Just to be sure, I would continue to let it firm up a few more days, and zap-test the insides of the bars when you cut them. Also, if there are any pockets of oozing liquid when you cut them, then be very careful to dilute that before zap-testing.

Last edited:
Since it hardened enough to come out of the mold as a solid, and doesn't zap, then @bookworm42 is right. It is a high superfat soap, but still soap. Hooray, what a relief!

EDIT: Just to be sure, I would continue to let it firm up a few more days, and zap-test the insides of the bars when you cut them. Also, if there are any pockets of oozing liquid when you cut them, then be very careful to dilute that before zap-testing.

thanks for that. I will do

The colors are pretty! I have had some oily loaves in the past; some cured out, while others stayed a bit oily forever. They all worked as soap, and your may, as well.

Time to make a new batch, eh? For scientific purposes of comparison, of course. 😉
Of course! I’ll will be doing another loaf this weekend. The colors are nice. I was so excited for this one but not how I planned obviously. lol. But that’s ok. I’ll chalk it up to experience and a learning curve.

Back