SMF July 2024 Challenge - Woodgrain Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best trace to pour woodgrain? I tried thin trace and it looked good when pouring but turned out too muddled. Or could it be I'm pouring too little when I make my passes?

Attempt 1 - Random ash parts covering up woodgrain. Possible entry.
Attempt 2 - FO sped up too fast. Unpourable. Scooped into mould for a layered look. Ineligible to enter.
Attempt 3 - Used same colours as #2 but no FO. Too thin, colours all muddled.
Attempt 4 - Turned out like #1 but less ash. Possible entry.

View attachment 78189

View attachment 78190
Your scooped/layered soap, #2, is beautiful! The "muddied" one, #3, reminds me of the Northern Lights. Do you mind sharing what you used for colorants? I love them!

How are you pouring? Single color lines from different pitchers or an in the pot kind of technique? Speed can also make a difference.
I followed the Cheeky Goat way. A dollop of colour here and there. Then topped up with the colours 2 more times. I think I'm pouring too fast and too little after watching the vids again. Last 2 attempts this weekend and I'm closing this woodgrain chapter for now.

Do you mind sharing what you used for colorants?
Brown mica, silver mica and Indigo powder. My micas come from China so they don't really have fancy names for it. Just labelled as brown and silver. I like attempt 2 as a soap by itself too! I wanted to chopstick swirl it but also wanted to see how it would look with no swirl.

What's the best trace to pour woodgrain? I tried thin trace and it looked good when pouring but turned out too muddled. Or could it be I'm pouring too little when I make my passes?

Attempt 2 - FO sped up too fast. Unpourable. Scooped into mould for a layered look. Ineligible to enter.

View attachment 78189

View attachment 78190
@Zuleika , I don't know if this qualifies as wood grain or not, but i LOVE this #2! Its very suggestive of clouds, sky, mountains!

I followed the Cheeky Goat way. A dollop of colour here and there. Then topped up with the colours 2 more times. I think I'm pouring too fast and too little after watching the vids again. Last 2 attempts this weekend and I'm closing this woodgrain chapter for now.

Brown mica, silver mica and Indigo powder. My micas come from China so they don't really have fancy names for it. Just labelled as brown and silver. I like attempt 2 as a soap by itself too! I wanted to chopstick swirl it but also wanted to see how it would look with no swirl.
Thank you! I am excited to see what else you come up with. You're creating some beautiful soaps!

To enter the July 2024 SMF Challenge, copy and paste these instructions and the entire list into a new post, adding your name and the next number at the bottom.

Sign-up list:
1. katili - this is the kick I need to finally try this technique!
2. Ford - tried once before, it wasn't pretty. Lol
3. Justsomeguy - let the learning begin 😬
4. Zuleika - What wood I do?
5. VickiC
6. Tammyfarms - wood grain soap has been on the list of designs I want to try.
7. ScentimentallyYours - need a scent that sticks and plays nice
8. Ackosel - My husband said he would be disappointed if I didn't try a wood grain soap, so here it goes!
9. SideDoorSoaps - right on time for making my Mt. Fresh soap!
10.DeeBeeSNJ- too excited to try. The cut is quite important with this soap technique, hope I don’t mess that up. 😊
11. VikingChick - I’ve been curious to try this technique!
12.Firefly24- I really wood like to try this out. Hope, I don't run out of time. Busy month...

To enter the July 2024 SMF Challenge, copy and paste these instructions and the entire list into a new post, adding your name and the next number at the bottom.

Sign-up list:
1. katili - this is the kick I need to finally try this technique!
2. Ford - tried once before, it wasn't pretty. Lol
3. Justsomeguy - let the learning begin 😬
4. Zuleika - What wood I do?
5. VickiC
6. Tammyfarms - wood grain soap has been on the list of designs I want to try.
7. ScentimentallyYours - need a scent that sticks and plays nice
8. Ackosel - My husband said he would be disappointed if I didn't try a wood grain soap, so here it goes!
9. SideDoorSoaps - right on time for making my Mt. Fresh soap!
10.DeeBeeSNJ- too excited to try. The cut is quite important with this soap technique, hope I don’t mess that up. 😊
11. VikingChick - I’ve been curious to try this technique!
12.Firefly24- I really wood like to try this out. Hope, I don't run out of time. Busy month...

Have you cut your soap yet? Are you happy with how it turned out?
That’s by biggest problem all the time is my cuts! But I am really happy with my results. I cut them horizontally and it kept the graining that I wanted. Very nerve wracking for me. I constantly pep talk myself through! My husband walks by me saying, are you talking to yourself again? 😆

That’s by biggest problem all the time is my cuts! But I am really happy with my results. I cut them horizontally and it kept the graining that I wanted. Very nerve wracking for me. I constantly pep talk myself through! My husband walks by me saying, are you talking to yourself again? 😆
That's great, I'm glad it turned out for you! I can't wait to see it at the end of the month!

Glad you are happy with it! I carry on a constant conversation with myself, the cats and occasionally my husband. 🤪

That's great, I'm glad it turned out for you! I can't wait to see it at the end of the month!
Could they be better? Yes, but I just don’t have another free day to take a go at it again. And I will definitely make this for the men in my life and for unique gifts.

The entry thread is now open and will remain open until July 27 at 11:59 PM GMT. Please remember that the entry thread is for entry photos only - all other photos and any comments should be added to this general challenge thread :)

Good luck everyone - I'm looking forward to seeing your woodgrain designs!

I used a technique similar to the I Dream In Soap tutorial. Some of my batter traced a bit quicker than I would have liked so the layers aren’t as consistent as they could be. For colors, I used natural, chocolate brown mica, cocoa powder (because I ran out of chocolate brown mica) and red oxide mica. The soap is scented with Flow blend from EOCalc at 4% with Cedarwood added at 5%. The result is mostly lemon, I really can’t pick up on the lavender or cedar. It’s actually really nice and I’m hoping it sticks. It’s always fun to cut these designs as each bar is unique.

I used a technique similar to the I Dream In Soap tutorial. Some of my batter traced a bit quicker than I would have liked so the layers aren’t as consistent as they could be. For colors, I used natural, chocolate brown mica, cocoa powder (because I ran out of chocolate brown mica) and red oxide mica. The soap is scented with Flow blend from EOCalc at 4% with Cedarwood added at 5%. The result is mostly lemon, I really can’t pick up on the lavender or cedar. It’s actually really nice and I’m hoping it sticks. It’s always fun to cut these designs as each bar is unique.
Ack! Sorry! I posted in the wrong place. Can someone delete and I will repost in the correct thread?

Ack! Sorry! I posted in the wrong place. Can someone delete and I will repost in the correct thread?
You should be able to delete the content of that post. At the bottom of the post, click the button in the left corner, and it should bring up a little menu that includes edit. Simply delete everything off the post and then click save. The post will still be there, but it will be blank.

I made attempt two on this hot afternoon. It's 104°F outside (40°C). It went better than attempt one, but I think it still won't be great. My trace was better this time but still seemed a trifle too thick. My base color ran out at the end, so the colors arent consistent throughout. It looks neat from the top though, so maybe it'll be fine inside, too!

I made attempt two on this hot afternoon. It's 104°F outside (40°C). It went better than attempt one, but I think it still won't be great. My trace was better this time but still seemed a trifle too thick. My base color ran out at the end, so the colors arent consistent throughout. It looks neat from the top though, so maybe it'll be fine inside, too!
I bet it will surprise you! You only need two bars for an entry, so if you are liking the top, you probably have at least that :thumbs: Also, colors don’t really have to be consistent throughout the bars, and actually might be more realistic with variations.

I bet it will surprise you! You only need two bars for an entry, so if you are liking the top, you probably have at least that :thumbs: Also, colors don’t really have to be consistent throughout the bars, and actually might be more realistic with variations.
Oh! I didn't realize I could use an uncut face for this challenge! Today's soap definitely passes as woodgrain, then. I'm excited to see how it looks inside!

Back