Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl2002

Reaction score
So how do ya'll ship your products without the heat getting to them? Also how do you all ship your products in general? Cheapest most cost effective way while being quick and effective as well. I searched the forums but most of it was about stock shipments vs sending out products to customers. I am in the U.S. and am only looking to ship yo the U.S. as of right now. USPS seems the cheapest while using flat rate but for 8.00 seems high to me. Also do you use a smaller box in the shipping box as well? And where do you get your packaging from? Thank you in advance.

Check out PirateShip.com. Their USPS postage rates are lower than getting them directly from USPS, plus you can compare with UPS and FedEx. You print your own label and can either arrange for free USPS pickup from your door (typically within 1-2 business days), or drop it in the box at your local post office. From the USPS website, you can order free boxes and envelopes that they will deliver to your door.

The best I can do for heat is to put my orders in my mail box close to the time the truck comes or take them directly to the post office on the absolute scorchers. Other than that, it's out of my control. But MP soap is the only heat sensitive product I sell and have only had one customer report melting in over 5 years of selling it.

I charge a flat rate of $9 shipping for US orders. Most of my orders use the USPS $8.95 padded flat rate mailers, but some small orders can be shipped for cheaper using ground advantage cubic. I'll occasionally use UPS for domestic orders, too. But since I have to make a special trip to drop the package off at the UPS store, that's only if it's a significantly better deal or I'm already running errands in the area.

The best I can do for heat is to put my orders in my mail box close to the time the truck comes or take them directly to the post office on the absolute scorchers. Other than that, it's out of my control. But MP soap is the only heat sensitive product I sell and have only had one customer report melting in over 5 years of selling it.

I charge a flat rate of $9 shipping for US orders. Most of my orders use the USPS $8.95 padded flat rate mailers, but some small orders can be shipped for cheaper using ground advantage cubic. I'll occasionally use UPS for domestic orders, too. But since I have to make a special trip to drop the package off at the UPS store, that's only if it's a significantly better deal or I'm already running errands in the area.
Good to know, I do a lot of melt and pour soap and body butters, so was worried about heat, it's been near 100° where I am.

I use Stamps.com for my shipping. The rates are better than the post office. As far as melting, I have not had any customers complain about products melting, but I also don't ship melt & pour. I ship CP soap, bath bombs, and lotions for the most part. I have found that in most instances, I can get out cheaper by providing my own box, rather than doing the flat rate boxes provided by the post office. They are only cost effective if the package is traveling a long way or if you are putting a lot of weight in the box. I have also found the rates are better with USPS if packages are smaller. You can get some better rates with UPS or FedEx in certain instances, but USPS is almost always cheaper.

Check out PirateShip.com.

Most of my orders use the USPS $8.95 padded flat rate mailers
I also use Pirate Ship, and it's 8.95 for the padded flat rate mailers. I have discovered though that I can ship the same size package for less if I don't use the flat rate options (and different packaging, obviously) and it still arrives in the same amount of time. For example, an order that I shipped recently in a large flat rate box would have cost $21-24 to send. I think USPS rate is $24+change, I'm not sure what the Pirate Ship price would be, I'm guess in the $21 range. I packaged in a regular box and shipped for $12+change. Generally, I repurpose shipping boxes from other purchases when I can - if the box is clean and doesn't have branding on it, I use it. For padded envelope packaging I either use Amazon or Temu.

As for shipping in the heat, I've never had issues. In July I sent conditioner bars during a 100+ heat wave, and the customer told me they arrived fine. I've also shipped to southern states during hot weather (Tulsa and Phoenix) without issues. I ship a variety of products from CP soap, CP soap cupcakes with mp embeds, lotions, scrubs, shampoo bars, conditioner bars, and lip balms - the only one I've been told that was a problem was the lip balms, so now I put a little note in those orders that say "in case of hot weather during shipping, please make sure lip balms are cool before opening". Most people get it.

Back