separation of solution in liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali said

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been making cold process liquid soap for a while now. Olive oil-Sunflower oil-Castor oil and coconut oil with 50-50% water and glycerin. (20% potassium hydroxide solution) It hardens in about 15 minutes and it hardens a lot. I dilute it after waiting for 1 day. But sometimes a liquid forms at the bottom of the paste. I think the potassium hydroxide solution separates from the oils. Because I did a zap test today and even my eyes got red. I wonder why this separation sometimes occurs when I apply this cold process liquid soap?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-29 at 18.42.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-29 at 18.42.39.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-30 at 00.06.18.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-30 at 00.06.18.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 0
If you want useful advice, you need to provide your full recipe in weights. There's no way anyone can give decent feedback without an actual recipe.

What I can tell you is that KOH alone cannot magically separate itself from a soap paste. There might indeed be excess alkali in your soap, but it's not just KOH. And there's no way to know if that's even the problem without the recipe.

Latest posts

Back