Scent Shy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanieB

Reaction score
I'm scared to add too much EO to my soap..is there such a thing as adding too much? I just want the smell to be stronger without overpowering.

Yes, there is definitely such a thing as "too much Essential Oil"!

Essential Oils are not just "perfume"...most have medicinal qualities and certain chemical compounds that at higher amounts can cause (besides skin irritation) heart palipitations or seizures. I'm not being an alarmist, or trying to scare you...just sharing information. Essential Oils are perfectly safe to use if you educate yourself on their properties and usages. I've used Essential Oils in my products since 2001 and have only had skin irritation problems as a result of misuse. Too much Clove, Cinnamon, or Peppermint, all possible skin irritants, will definitely give you a problem. Too much fragrance oil can also be a problem and can weep out of your soap leaving bubbles or greasiness. A good rule of thumb for CP soap is anywhere from 0.5 oz - 1 oz EO or FO per pound of oils. I personally use 1 oz ppo, with the exception of any known skin irritant oils, which I use at a much lesser rate. I find FOs do not need as high of a concentration to make it through the lye process, but I don't use them myself anymore.

Brambleberry has a great Fragrance Calculator that includes Essential Oils:
http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragr ... lator.aspx

Read up on the oils you want to use and have fun creating unique scents!

Alchemy & Ashes gave you some good advice.

I generally use a total of .5 to .8 oz PPO when using EOs. That is the total for all EOs in a blend, not individually. For citrus EOs, I tend to go a bit higher because they have a tendency to fade. For potential irritants (peppermint, cinnamon, clove) I go lower, no more than .1% of my oil weight. Some which are potentially toxic in small doses (sweet birch, for example) I don't use at all. It's just not worth it.

Bramble Berry's fragrance calc is what I use also. The only draw back is that it won't allow for multiple fragrances in one calculation. So what I do is base my calculation off of the e.o. or f.o. that has the greatest potential to cause an allergic reaction. Whatever amount I am given for that fragrance that is what I use for my entire combo.

judymoody said:
Alchemy & Ashes gave you some good advice.

I generally use a total of .5 to .8 oz PPO when using EOs. That is the total for all EOs in a blend, not individually.
Good point...I should have made that clear: I use 1 oz EO TOTAL ppo...so if I have 4 lbs of oils, I use 4 oz TOTAL EO.

Latest posts

Back