Recipe help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious what your thoughts are on this recipe:

50% palm shortening
32% soybean oil (hydrogenated)
18% coconut

3% superfat

Thank you for your thoughts and input!

What are your goals with this recipe?
I was asked to create a recipe using those ingredients. They are looking for a good moisturizing bar of soap but I think costs need to stay low. I was planning to test once soybean oil arrived but thought to ask the community their thoughts in the mean time. Much apprecaited!
What are your goals with this recipe?

Hi there!

Is your soybean oil hydrogenated partly or fully, a.k.a. soy wax?

And this particular palm shortening - do you have a fatty acid profile for it as a point of reference?

I don't use palm oil often, but when I do it's this one, 100 percent organic and fair trade palm oil, produced in Colombia, South America. Works great!
It may cost more than Malaysian palm oil (I don't really know, haven't priced it!), but I'm a hobbyist and don't sell. If I depended on making soap for a living, I'd probably do without palm altogether if I couldn't justify the cost.

[Edited to add: I'm sure there are other similar brands with palm oil from Africa or other South American countries, but this one is the one that is available to me in local stores.]

Spectrum shortening
1727972223340.png

Last edited:
The palm shortening is 100% palm. Its the same SAP value as palm oil and Ive had no issues using it over the years. I was trying to find hydrogenated soybean but none found locally. Looking at purchasing 100% soybean oil (liquid). Before purchasing, wanted to hear the communities thoughts. Thank you all!

If it is high-oleic soybean oil, I'd be fine with it. My local Costco offers this in a two-gallon pack; it is labeled as "high heat cooking oil" or something like that.

Hydrogenated soybean oil = soy wax, FYI. ;) This is the same soy wax that @KiwiMoose uses in her vegan recipes with great success. Just make sure it doesn't have any additives, which many soy waxes do, as they are used more for candlemaking.

Hi there!

And this particular palm shortening - do you have a fatty acid profile for it as a point of reference?
Hi there!

I was looking for hydrogenated but none found locally. Looking at 100% soybean oil (liquid). The palm shortening has the same SAP value as regular palm.

If it is high-oleic soybean oil, I'd be fine with it. My local Costco offers this in a two-gallon pack; it is labeled as "high heat cooking oil" or something like that.

Hydrogenated soybean oil = soy wax, FYI. ;) This is the same soy wax that @KiwiMoose uses in her vegan recipes with great success. Just make sure it doesn't have any additives, which many soy waxes do, as they are used more for candlemaking.
Thank you so much! Im looking at Sams Club version for this soap. No additives. As you know, this isnt my recipe. Someone has asked me to make a specific soap for them with these ingredients. Ive never deviated from my tried and true ingredients so this is a new adventure. Just want to make sure DOS isnt going to find me! Lol! Youre the best!

Thank you so much! Im looking at Sams Club version for this soap. No additives. As you know, this isnt my recipe. Someone has asked me to make a specific soap for them with these ingredients. Ive never deviated from my tried and true ingredients so this is a new adventure. Just want to make sure DOS isnt going to find me! Lol! Youre the best!
If the Sam's Club version is high oleic (marked as high heat, fry oil, etc.) you will probably be ok. Still, I'd add a chelator for sure, as well as ROE at least to the soybean oil, or to the entire masterbatch if that's how you roll. Good luck!

If the Sam's Club version is high oleic (marked as high heat, fry oil, etc.) you will probably be ok. Still, I'd add a chelator for sure, as well as ROE at least to the soybean oil, or to the entire masterbatch if that's how you roll. Good luck!
Its marked as high smoke point. I typically add a chelator to all of my soaps but her soap doesnt contain a chelator and she doesnt want anything added to her recipe 🤦🏻‍♀️ Im also not seeing ROE in her ingredients. Soybean is listed as soy oil 🤦🏻‍♀️ Frustrating sometimes with special orders.

Soybean is listed as soy oil
I am a little confused now, bc you said you were originally looking for hydrogenated soybean oil. That is going to be listed and sold as soy wax and is in flake form.

Plain ole soybean oil is the liquid stuff at Sam's Club. I haven't checked SAP numbers to see if they are the same, but I don't believe they are, and I don't believe they behave similarly in soap.

Back