Pic of first CM soap...the good and the bad

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
Not sure if I attached the photo correctly, but hopefully I have attached a photo of my first CM soap that I just cut this morning. This was my 2nd attempt this weekend, and things went really well while I was soaping this time...nice consistency, plenty of time for FO and colors.

BUT...it seems there are some tiny glycerin rivers in the white portion of the soap...a kind of crackled effect. I did add a little TD (dispersed well in water) to the white. I don't think the soap overheated, but then again, maybe it did?

Any advice for next time? Third time is bound to be a charm, right? :-?

CM White Tea Ginger.jpg

Forgot to mention...it is fragranced with BB's White Tea and Ginger, which seemed to behave really well while I was soaping. The white soap has a little dispersed TD, and the tan has a little of BB's honey beige mica.

did you thin out the CM this time or straight out of the box? i've never soaped with that white tea and ginger FO, but it does have a floral base to it. just maybe that was the cause of overheating, as lots of floral fragrances are known for this?

the soap looks lovely btw!

I used the CM straight out of the can again, but this time I warmed it ever so slightly first, which made it a lot runnier. I think the first can was very cool (in my cold basement) which made it pretty thick. As soon as I nuked it for about 10 seconds, it was room temp and much thinner.

The BB reviews of this FO all said it worked well in CP, which it really seemed to while I was soaping. I have a wood mold that also comes with a wooden lid. I am wondering if I would have been better to leave the wooden lid off?

Nope, it didn't overheat. It just cooled slowly enough that the different types of soap molecules were able to crystallize out at different times. The colorant (TD) is forced into the areas of soap that were still liquid as other parts of the soap began to solidify. That creates the streaking/mottling pattern.

Thin soap when poured into the mold, swirling the batter in the mold, recipe high in stearic acid, use of TD, relatively slow cooling in the mold = good chance of mottling/streaking.

I don't thinks this is from overheating. Its more likely simply from the TD during gel stage, if I use enough TD to get a nice white, I prevent gel.
I've only used white tea and ginger once, I had no issues with it and its stuck very well. 4 months later is still nice and strong.

Thats very pretty soap, I especially like the tan swirls near the top.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words. It isn't too bad, but the crackled effect was disappointing. That seems to be my biggest obstacle lately...lots of my oxides seem to cause glycerin rivers/crackling. Anything else I can do besides prevent gel?

I'm still wondering if the wooden lid on the mold is causing problems? I recently made the soap in the photo below...using the same mold, but without the lid because I was worried about melting the M&P berries on top. I used TD in the white soap and did a similar swirl. Things turned out beautifully. The recipe didn't have GM (5% Castor, 25%CO, 40% OO, 30% PO). Thoughts on what the difference might be?

blackras1.jpg

That berry soap if so very cute. Looks like gummy candy on top. It could be getting a tad bit warm with the lid on, if it works for without it, then don't use it anymore.

Thanks...it was a fun soap to make and turned out really nice. I will try leaving the lid off again and see how things go (holding my breath in fear of the dreaded partial gel). Ughh...so many variables!

I also avoid gell for most of my soaps and will avoid gell if I've used td. I've used that FO before and didn't have any issues with is (plus it lasts!). Both of your soaps are beautiful. Even the crackle looks pretty. I know it's not what you expected but it does look nice. A few soapers even strive to get the crackle in their soap.

Latest posts

Back